Does anyone know the breed of my hen?

cowanchickens

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2023
I have had this hen since she was a chick. I bought her at tractor supply and she was in a bucket with barres rocks. I seen she was different than the other chicks and that’s why I got her. Now that she is grown, she is clearly not a barred rock. Does anyone know what breed she is? I have pictures of her now and when she was a baby. 2226D64E-3E16-4E56-88B8-EEE5A46042E9.jpeg
62641A65-92C6-486A-903D-3893361B02AD.jpeg
B953DAE5-61B9-48B1-9395-99D8C466ABFE.jpeg
D5C64133-AB88-4DF9-B2A6-0B791165AB3A.jpeg
A8DCBA90-7AE1-4D79-B778-4687C2A6E2FB.jpeg

My guess would be an Easter Egger.
When she starts laying eggs, if she lays blue or green eggs, she is definitely an Easter Egger. If she lays brown eggs she might still be meant as an Easter Egger, or she might be something else.

"Easter Egger" is a general term for any chicken that lays blue or green eggs but does not belong to a specific pure breed of chicken. Hatcheries sell them with many different names. Hatcheries also say that some of them will actually lay brown or "pink" eggs, because the hatchery flocks are not quite pure for the blue egg gene, even though that is the main selling point of that type of chicken.

The comb is making me think of the Easter Eggers that look like wanna-be Ameraucanas (obviously mixed with something else, given the leg color and the lack of muff/beard.)
There's an indication of barring noticeable in the hackle, so that's why I think Legbar could be involved, but it's anyone's guess. I do think it has to be some type of egger because nothing else really fits. TSC sells hybrids but not random mixed breeds.

There's an indication of barring noticeable in the hackle, so that's why I think Legbar could be involved, but it's anyone's guess. I do think it has to be some type of egger because nothing else really fits. TSC sells hybrids but not random mixed breeds.
Tractor Supply does sell random mixed breeds, albeit they don't tell anyone. A lot of their chicks are known to be poor quality, and I have gotten a lot of mixed breeds from them. Examples are: Black Orpington mix, Sapphire Gem mix, Old English Game Bantam mix, etc.

Tractor Supply does sell random mixed breeds, albeit they don't tell anyone. A lot of their chicks are known to be poor quality, and I have gotten a lot of mixed breeds from them. Examples are: Black Orpington mix, Sapphire Gem mix, Old English Game Bantam mix, etc.
But they get their chicks from hatcheries, so you can't really blame the stores.

Back
Top Bottom