**Does anyone know what this is?**

60ACRES

Stepped in what??
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Long, OK
My daughter found this in the parking lot of a mall. She cornered it and brought it to us.

I barely know that it is a duck, goose maybe?

What in the world am I gonna do with this?

27420_img00245.jpg

Quote:
Get feed for it?? I have to keep this thing??

What else are you going to do with it? It's home now and the mother isn't around it anymore so SOMEONE has to take care of it. Unless you want to euthenize it here and now.... Or find a home...

Quote:
FYI... Canadian Geese are HIGHLY illegal to own, and even more illegal to hunt. I dont know the specifics, but I know that if we shot one while hunting when I was young, we had to cover it and hide it until we got home because if the game warden stopped you, MAJOR FINES.

I have raised fallen birds from nests before. They were not sick, the roof of our house was insanely steep and there was a covering at the top and birds like to nest there. However, sometimes their chicks did not find it so nice when they tried to fly.

Anyhow, I called our local game warden, told him I had experiance with baby birds (parrots) and that I could handfeed it until it could fly away. He told me that as long as I promised to let it go when it was old enough I could raise it. It turned out to be a mockingbird. We taught him to fly over our bed so when he fell he wouldn not get too hurt. He flew away one day when he got big enough to practice flying outside.

The game warden gave me his name and everything in the event the police for our town ever questioned me (not sure that they would ever inspect houses for wild birds), but thought it was nice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom