Does Electric Fencing need a cover?

johnladwig

Hatching
Nov 28, 2022
Hello!

I'm wondering if we make our run out of a product like this will a netting on top be necessary for keeping the chickens in the fence? I know that prey from above could still get to the chickens but I'm mostly concerned about keeping the chickens contained. Or will the electrified 48" be enough to keep them in?

Here's the back story, if you'd like. We have are on a couple acres but in a rural-ish residential area. We only have neighbor on our left and right nothing accross the road and a mill pond behind us. We prefer our girls run free but have fenced in about a 100x100 ft area for them to roam in with the mill pond as one of the boarders, a bonus for our 2 ducks.

We started with a 4 ft hog fence, most escaped no prob, then I put up 6 ft but some of our girls still jump to the top of that then hop on over. The dont cause much trouble in the yard but they started going to the neighbors house and picking at the stucco covered foam on their foundation, I'm guess they need more grit options.
Anyways...

Thanks for your time

-John

They've proven that a 4' fence can't keep them in. They will not get shocked by the fence once they leave the ground. They will just land on the top and hop over.
How old are they? Young pullets are typically good flyers. As they age and get heavier, not so much. You can always clip the feathers on one wing so it's harder to get any lift.

They've proven that a 4' fence can't keep them in. They will not get shocked by the fence once they leave the ground. They will just land on the top and hop over.
How old are they? Young pullets are typically good flyers. As they age and get heavier, not so much. You can always clip the feathers on one wing so it's harder to get any lift.
Theyre mostly 2 yos, I’m guessing I’m gonna need something on top. Even some of the big fat maran’s can make it over 5 ft

Last edited:
*Most* of my chickens stay inside their netting but some of them do unauthorized free-ranging from time to time.

Wing-clipping helps, but I do have one girl who can still fly with her clipped wings.

I find that the worst offenders for escaping are point-of-lay pullets. Once they're laying regularly they tend to stay home.

Back
Top Bottom