Does every flock have a complainer?

there is always one in the bunch for sure. All a part of life,
frow.gif
Maybe some of her complaints are valid. Only the other chickens know.

Mine are still little-- 8-9 weeks old-- but I already have a complainer.

Actually, several. My BO, Took, WILL NOT drink muddied or warm water. Nothing doing. She stands at the door and calls to me until I come replace the water and then she tastes it right away and the LOOK she gives me when it's too warm is just menacing, like she's swearing revenge against my whole family for this indignity.

My Ameraucana, Bracegirdle, is the messiest eater and the pickiest-- she ONLY wants the peas from the feed, she's NOT interested in the cased seeds, and when there aren't enough peas left she expects me to refill their food. "I'm HUNGRY! I'm STARVING! Come FEED ME!" But of course, when I come to check on them, there's still plenty of food in the hopper AND on the ground under it.

But my Wyandotte is the WORST. It's too hot, it's too cold, there's a squirrel in the yard, there's a bug I can't reach, OMG it's an airplane, where'd everybody go, the other chicks are too close to me, there are ants on my feet, I don't WANT you to touch me, please please save me, on and on all day long at the top of her voice. And that's why she's called Hornblower.

Actually, several.  My BO, Took, WILL NOT drink muddied or warm water.  Nothing doing.  She stands at the door and calls to me until I come replace the water and then she tastes it right away and the LOOK she gives me when it's too warm is just menacing, like she's swearing revenge against my whole family for this indignity.

My Ameraucana, Bracegirdle, is the messiest eater and the pickiest-- she ONLY wants the peas from the feed, she's NOT interested in the cased seeds, and when there aren't enough peas left she expects me to refill their food.  "I'm HUNGRY!  I'm STARVING!  Come FEED ME!"  But of course, when I come to check on them, there's still plenty of food in the hopper AND on the ground under it.

But my Wyandotte is the WORST.  It's too hot, it's too cold, there's a squirrel in the yard, there's a bug I can't reach, OMG it's an airplane, where'd everybody go, the other chicks are too close to me, there are ants on my feet, I don't WANT you to touch me, please please save me, on and on all day long at the top of her voice.  And that's why she's called Hornblower.

I have a almost five week old Barred Rock that does the same as your Wyandotte her name is Cry Baby lol, luckily my Wyandottes havent done that yet I heard wyandottes are complainers.

Actually, several. My BO, Took, WILL NOT drink muddied or warm water. Nothing doing. She stands at the door and calls to me until I come replace the water and then she tastes it right away and the LOOK she gives me when it's too warm is just menacing, like she's swearing revenge against my whole family for this indignity.

My Ameraucana, Bracegirdle, is the messiest eater and the pickiest-- she ONLY wants the peas from the feed, she's NOT interested in the cased seeds, and when there aren't enough peas left she expects me to refill their food. "I'm HUNGRY! I'm STARVING! Come FEED ME!" But of course, when I come to check on them, there's still plenty of food in the hopper AND on the ground under it.

But my Wyandotte is the WORST. It's too hot, it's too cold, there's a squirrel in the yard, there's a bug I can't reach, OMG it's an airplane, where'd everybody go, the other chicks are too close to me, there are ants on my feet, I don't WANT you to touch me, please please save me, on and on all day long at the top of her voice. And that's why she's called Hornblower.
lau.gif

Oh i am laughing out loud. Who trained who, lolol. Yup we have the anouncer of anything. She did however announce that one of our goats had figured out how to life the latch and get out. She was complaining cause I guess she thought Annie was going to get into the coup. A frog tried that and became the great tug-o-war toy. eeeuuuwwww

Yes it it Gracie... however, I try to think of it as chatty. Maybe she is just making noise. Maybe she is announcing the newly laid egg with joy. Maybe she is loving that spinach so much she needs to squack about it. I believe though, she just wants my attention more than anything.

I like the name.

We have a 5 month old tetra tint named Sheila. She complains about everything. She is super spoiled and wants to be held all the time. She has 5 tetra sisters, 6- 3 month old white leghorn hen mates and 6- 3 month old red comet hen mates. She is very gentle and friendly but all she does is complain. you pick her up she purrs like a kitten and goes to sleep. You can't sneak outside to do any yard work because she has radar in her comb, lol. She will come out of the run screaming and complaining until she gets your full attention. We call her our "Town Crier". She especially has captured our hearts.

Last edited:
Oh yes, my Easter Egger is the resident chatterbox in our little flock of four. She starts talking the moment she's awake and doesn't stop until they settle in for the night. It's mostly quiet muttering, not nearly as loud as our two dogs. The neighbors haven't complained yet! It's funny to hear her, though. She complains if she's not let out, she complains if she's chased back into the run, she mutters insults when the other girls get too close to her treats or don't follow her when she calls, and she trills/purrs for a good half hour straight in the evenings as everyone goes to bed. It's adorable and I wouldn't trade her for anything!

Back
Top Bottom