Does Meyer Hatchery de-beak their chicks?

chickenbarn-gal

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
I think it's horrible that they clip their beaks, what a painful procedure!
D.gif
rant.gif

Do you know if Meyer's Hatchery Clip their beaks????

Last edited:
I dont know if they do but I'm pretty sure clipping beaks dosent hurt chickens. People do it to show chickens and sometimes a chickens beak gets so long they cant eat properly.

Quote:
Yes, if it gets too long then you must, but only to a certain extent. Most hatcheries that de-beak their chickens cut too close to their nerves which can be extremely painful to the bird....... And I don't want my chickens to be de-beaked.
D.gif
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, if it gets too long then you must, but only to a certain extent. Most hatcheries that de-beak their chickens cut too close to their nerves which can be extremely painful to the bird....... And I don't want my chickens to be de-beaked.
D.gif
smile.png

Clipping and de-beaking are not the same thing. To answer your question, though, I don't think the hatcheries de-beak or clip the beaks of day old chicks, or at least I've never seen any that were like this. De-beaking is a procedure that is usually done to older chickens to keep them from feather picking the other chickens (which is usually only a problem if the chickens are in very cramped conditions), so it may be done to started pullets on occasion, but no chicks you order should be de-beaked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom