Does my new incubator have enough ventilation?

Fiasco

Chirping
Feb 28, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi! I bought a forced-air incubator online, and started running it to see how it went before I put any eggs in. I added a half a cup or so of water to the channels at the bottom, but the humidity showed around 75%. So I got a lot of it back out, and it still read 70%...after completely emptying the channels and running it for awhile, it's reading about 65%. I've given it several hours to adjust each time, but nothing seems to make much of a difference. I've never incubated before, but it doesn't make sense to me! Shouldn't there be some sort of water in there all of the time? It is damp weather outside right now, but I don't know how much of an effect that would have?

Then I noticed that I don't really see any ventilation holes. There's one tiny 1/4" hole to poke the end of a squeeze water bottle into (which came with the incubator) but that's all I can see...except for one tiny box on the underside with some tiny holes in a 1/2" by 1/2" grid. I'm not sure what that's for, but I can't feel any air being sucked through it even when the fan is going.

So do you think it has enough ventilation? I kind of naturally assume that whoever makes the incubators has figured that out already, but it's all I can think of for my humidity issue. :idunno

Thanks!

My incubator has 2 half inch holes in the top, and I can easily regulate my humidity. What brand is your incubator?

My incubator has 2 half inch holes in the top, and I can easily regulate my humidity. What brand is your incubator?
The humidity dropped to 45% a few hours after writing this, so I guess I spoke too soon! I put a little bit of water back in, and hopefully with some trial and error I'll be able to steady it out.

I'm still wondering about the ventilation, though. I haven't really seen a brand name on the incubator, but it's at this link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Aut...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The distributor is "Apluschoice", so maybe that's the brand name too...I'm not sure. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! :)

Back
Top Bottom