Does this cream work for sour crop?

novembertess

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2018
Many people recommend vaginal cream for treating sour crop. I found one at Walgreens but it says that it’s poisonous to ingest, so is it safe for my chicken? I’ll attach an image of the ingredients list. It’s the Walgreens brand Miconazole anti fungal cream.

Attachments

• B6434C02-7650-449C-9B6C-7ABF018C717B.jpeg
    B6434C02-7650-449C-9B6C-7ABF018C717B.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 21
I've never treated for sour crop, but if you compare the ingredients to the brand name one, and it's the same, I'd use it. Really, anything you put in your vagina is going to be absorbed into your body through the mucus membranes, so saying it is poisonous to ingest, seems weird to me. That might just be a CYA thing the lawyers make them say, in case some idiot eats a whole tube and sues them because it made them vomit.

My store brand ingredients are almost identical, the only difference is that instead of the oleoyl polyoxilglycerides, mine has glyceryl stearate instead. I've only treated sour crop a couple of times, the treatment didn't kill them. But in my case the crop problems were caused by underlying reproductive issues, so if your bird has an underlying condition the sour crop may reoccur.

Back
Top Bottom