Does this look like a snake ate this egg?

That would have been my first thought too, except the new girls are too young (9 and 15 weeks) and aren't laying yet. It must have been one of my older gals. :(

Chickens do not have to be laying to be egg eaters. It is a learned behavior. A young bird can be taught to eat eggs by watching an older bird who eats eggs. Since the problem started just when the new birds were introduced, that shines the spotlight of suspicion squarely on their beady little eyes.

Because it is a learned behavior, the egg eating is contagious. If that is what is happening to your eggs, you need to get it under control fast.

Chickens do not have to be laying to be egg eaters. It is a learned behavior. A young bird can be taught to eat eggs by watching an older bird who eats eggs. Since the problem started just when the new birds were introduced, that shines the spotlight of suspicion squarely on their beady little eyes.

Because it is a learned behavior, the egg eating is contagious. If that is what is happening to your eggs, you need to get it under control fast.
VERY good advise!!!
thumbsup.gif

When our hens started eating eggs, I figured out a way that certainly worked well for us. Oh, and it was hilarious to watch. we took an before they got ahold of it, and poked a little hole at the top and bottom with a toothpick. Then we stuck the toothpick down inside of the egg, to break up the yolk. If you blow INto one of the holes, you should be able to blow all the egg out. Then cover one hole with a little hot glue. Fill the egg with hot sauce. Put it back in the nesting box. Voila! One they've tried your "special egg", they won't eat their own any more ;)

You should fill up the waterer before putting the egg back :D

Back
Top Bottom