Does this look like bumble foot ?

Melsp08

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
Is this bumble foot? There’s no swelling, and no limping.

Attachments

• 3EA30A25-8018-4A9D-A2CA-F6B55FCE306B.png
    3EA30A25-8018-4A9D-A2CA-F6B55FCE306B.png
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • 4D70F0D8-275A-45A6-95F4-3EB6CD982CFA.png
    4D70F0D8-275A-45A6-95F4-3EB6CD982CFA.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
Either early bumblefoot or an injury that could become bumblefoot. You can try treating topically to see if it improves that way. It can be a slow process. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse, then you will need to remove the scab, clean out underneath, and then treat and wrap.

Ok thank you! I’ve been doing an epsom salt soak once a day for the past 3 days now, and have been applying silver sulfadiazine cream three times a day, adding electrolytes/vitamins to water. It looks like it could be improving? But I’m not too sure. How long does it typically take to see results? And is there a less invasive way of removing the scab than with a scalpel? I have a unopened scalpel here, but I hope it doesn’t come to that. Also, I’m not sure if this is a terrible question to ask, but would liquid nitrate (like you use for removing planters warts) work/be safe? I have a family member who is a nurse ask me that. I live in an area with no avian vet, so Id like to be prepared to tackle this the best way possible if necessary. :) Love my big boy!! And want him to be ok. <3

I don't know about the liquid nitrate. Since bumblefoot is usually staph, not sure it would be effective for that. I usually just soak the foot to soften it up and use tweezers to remove the scab. I don't like to cut anything unless absolutely necessary, and have found that most of the time you don't need to. If it looks like the silver sulfadiazine cream is working, then I might just stick with that for a while. I've had some bumblefoot resolve in a few weeks, I've had some take months. The smaller and shallower it is, usually the faster it heals. If the cream stops helping, or if things start looking worse, you can always go the route of cleaning it out. I've treated small lesions topically, and usually within a few weeks I can at least see it improving.

That is so helpful! Thank you so much. I’ve been feeling discouraged that I’m not seeing any evident improvement within 3 days so it’s really good to know that this can take some time. I also like the idea of the tweezers after a good soak, so I’ll keep an eye on his wounds and if they start to look worse, or show no improvements within a few weeks, I’ll try the tweezer route. Thank you so much for the info. It’s made a world of difference. This has been really weighing on me since I discovered the wounds.

Back
Top Bottom