Does this look sufficiently predator-proof

YankeeRider

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 6, 2009
North Central Connecticut
Below is a picture of the hardware cloth window screen i built for the windows of my coop. A weakness I see is that a raccoon might gnaw at the wood frame of the screen (It's 1-1/4" spruce cut from a 2x4), removing the support for the hardware cloth.

Do I need to add "armor" to the wood?

Jerry

It's better then my coop window
hmm.png

How far off the ground is that window and how deep is the sill?

If it's 4' up and that sill isn't very deep, I would think that a coon or other small preditor would have trouble maintaining a foot hold while trying to pull the frame off.

My husband bought some type of wire that is so thick you can not bend it. We use that! It was about $10 for a sheet but it works! A coon and such may be able to get it through it but not before he sets off the cat and the dogs thus waking us up! We have a dog pen next to the chickens that houses big mouth and the cat will screech who sleeps with the chickens. That sets off the hunting dog in the house and then the tiny dog that sleeps in our room lets off his chirping, not really a bark, and then he hides under the bed. but certainly we will be awoken.

Then the guns come out.....He Haw!

Ok I know to much coffee this early morning.
wee.gif

OH to answer your question....sorry but it looks fairly easy to get into.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't seen here where anyone has reported a coon chewing through the hardware cloth itself.

I'm not concerned about a coon "removing" the frame, because it is retained by 8 screws through the screen frame into the window frame. I can also mix phillips head and square head screws, trusting that the raccoon might be carrying a phillips screwdriver, but hasn't obtained a square drive one yet.
smile.png

The sill is about 5' off the ground, and the siding is vinyl. The sill is a standard 4-1/ 2" wide, but with the screen set 1" out and being about 1-1/4" thick, the available ledge is only about 2-1/4" wide.

Back
Top Bottom