Does this poop look normal?

Brahmachicken240

Enabler
5 Years
Dec 26, 2018
One of my hens has started acting lethargic today.
This is her poop.
F403FCAB-7753-4E85-B1C8-B748FBF934B6.jpeg

She’s been standing in the same place all day not eating or drinking much.

Behavior tells us more than the appearance of poop, but taken with her lethargic behavior, your hen is feeling sick.

That said, it's anyone's guess as to why she's sick. You will need to do some checking and sleuthing. First, check her crop. Full, empty? Soft and spongy or hard and over-full? Check it tomorrow morning before she eats or drinks to determine health of the crop. If it's not perfectly flat and empty, Houston, we have a problem.

It could be she has an egg stuck. Is she holding her tail low and flat and pumping it? Has she ever laid two eggs in one 25 hour cycle? Any soft eggs recently? How old is she and how long has she been laying, if at all?

Has she been free ranging where spoiled veggies or fruit have been rotting?

Any insecticide use in her range area? How about machinery leaking fluids onto the soil?

The vet will be able to help you more if you have answers to these questions.

Behavior tells us more than the appearance of poop, but taken with her lethargic behavior, your hen is feeling sick.

That said, it's anyone's guess as to why she's sick. You will need to do some checking and sleuthing. First, check her crop. Full, empty? Soft and spongy or hard and over-full? Check it tomorrow morning before she eats or drinks to determine health of the crop. If it's not perfectly flat and empty, Houston, we have a problem.

It could be she has an egg stuck. Is she holding her tail low and flat and pumping it? Has she ever laid two eggs in one 25 hour cycle? Any soft eggs recently? How old is she and how long has she been laying, if at all?

Has she been free ranging where spoiled veggies or fruit have been rotting?

Any insecticide use in her range area? How about machinery leaking fluids onto the soil?

The vet will be able to help you more if you have answers to these questions.

Crop was small and hard this morning, it’s gotten bigger and now, feels kinda like a bean bag.
She hasn’t ate or drank since this morning, she suddenly started acting lethargic a few hours after they were let out. She was perfectly fine when I let them out.
She hasn’t laid any eggs yet.
She’s a 10 month old golden partridge Brahma.
She is holding her tail down.
Couldn’t feel any eggs when I checked her. They are free range but there’s no veggies or fruit anywhere yet. It’s only the beginning of spring. They free range in an untouched feild.

Last edited:
With the yellow color of the droppings, and her crop not emptying overnight, it would possibly be that she is laying internally, and she is expelling some egg matter in her droppings. 10 months and never having laid, also sounds like a reproductive disorder.

Really? that would be awful.
She was perfectly fine up until this afternoon.
F7AF0466-08E2-4C1D-9F0F-BFB6F0640A8D.jpeg

Last edited:
With the yellow color of the droppings, and her crop not emptying overnight, it would possibly be that she is laying internally, and she is expelling some egg matter in her droppings. 10 months and never having laid, also sounds like a reproductive disorder.

Is there anything i can do to help her if that is the case ?
I sure hope it’s something else :hmm

Vet said she’s just a weak hen.
Said she has hardly any meat on her and that she’s very light.
He gave her an injection.
He did ask if she was sneezing, which they were but not so much any more. Vet doesn’t think it’s a reproductive problem.
Wondering why she’s so light? I’ve had people tell me that I’m feeding them too much.
I have noticed her not spending much time at the food. Is there anything I can do to improve her weight or is that just the way she is ?

Back
Top Bottom