Dog and Chicks

MelissaMija

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2015
Edgewood, NM
Good Morning,
My chicks are doing great but my question is can my dog be around them? He is little and once he saw them he fell in love and thinks there his babies. he cleans them tries to push them to eat there food and will bark at me if they try to get out. Is it safe for them to be around a dog at only 22 days?

If the dog doesn't seem to pose a threat, why not? Keep an eye on them, of course, but a lot of dogs do very well with chicks. Mine herds them and lets them snuggle into her fur for warm naps, while she sits very still so as not to wake them up.
love.gif

Depends on the dogs, I prefer to teach my dogs to ignore them, doesn't always work

Here's my little dog, looks like she's watching out for these little chicks, but no she's guarding them from the five other dogs because she wants dibs on eating them. All dogs are different, just have to know your dog, this dog ignores them after they grow up and stop making that high pitched peeping, the sound triggers the rat terrier in her.

It sounds like your dog is very loving and probably safe to keep the chicks around him. However, dogs can get coccidiosis from bird droppings from wild birds, so there is always the chance that the dog could transmit it to the chickens.

Thank you for that information, I have never heard of that before. I don't want them transfering it to get any of them sick. I will keep on eye and learn more bout that. again Thank you soo much.
wee.gif

My dogs eat a lot of poultry poop, never have I had cocidiosis, though I did say I don't let my dogs interact with my chicks, and actually it is healthy for chicks to get small doses of cocidiosis to build immunity.

Last edited:
It sounds like your dog is very loving and probably safe to keep the chicks around him. However, dogs can get [COLOR=660099]coccidiosis[/COLOR] from bird droppings from wild birds, so there is always the chance that the dog could transmit it to the chickens. 

I've only seen dogs get it from wild birds. As long as the dog is healthy it should be okay. If the dog gets sick then keep it away from the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom