Dog Attack advise for Hen (Graphic Photos)

olbupp

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2014

Neighbor's dog grabbed one of my girls on the back and behind her wing....worst is a large piece of flesh completely open and with what I believe is "fat" due to it's yellowish color. She has some smaller pierced wounds but her leg on that side is not working properly. It's been 3 days and I've kept her inside, warm and sprayed the wounds with Vetricyn and applied Neosporin cream. The first night she even laid an egg...she has continued to poop but no add'l eggs. She was drinking and eating but isn't drinking as much today. From the wounds weeping, her underneath side was caked and nasty so I gave her a warm bath, trying to not let that water touch any of the wounds. I've trimmed her feathers back to keep them out of the wounds and to keep down infection. I've also added Probiotics and Electrolytes to her water. The weeping that the wounds have done is clear and I think we've managed to keep infection at bay - however, I am very worried about the loss of use of her leg. I'd guess it's the connecting tissue that controls that leg is damaged as I don't feel any breaks, but I guess it could also be dislocated and I don't realize it.

After her bath I applied the Vetrycin and then applied Neosporin and covered it with a non-stick sterile pad and Vetwrapped it. I should have taken some pics and will after I unwrap if you guys think I should keep trying. Hubby is most concerned about the leg and I agree as how would she get around and life would just continue to be miserable.

Any advice, please!!!

PS - Thanks to all who have posted her about their experiences....otherwise I would have been looking up the most humane to take her to the Rainbow Bridge.
Debbie

Last edited:
It's been approx. 45 days since the attack. I am amazed....she started laying last week and has now layed 7 eggs. (1 a day last 3 days!) We don't know how long to wait before consuming the eggs because of the Vetricyn and Neosporin and I've sent emails to both companies....I'm sure Neosporin will be perplexed. Had she never laid another egg I would have been OK with that.

The wound has almost completely closed and today I debraided the area and removed another piece of bone. (think it may be part of her rib) It doesn't seem to bother her except that she does have a limp. I have kept her on my front screened porch to prevent flies and maggots. I don't think it will be much longer until it is completely healed. The feathers have grown back and there is a very small scab area.

I took her outside and allowed her to free-range while I looked on and she joined up with her sisters and quickly regained dominance, grabbing one of the girls that challenged her for a bug. Despite her limp, she appears to be doing great.

I would never have believed this was possible due to the severity of this wound. I will get another picture and post, if I can push the feathers apart enough to see it!

So, for anyone that questions whether they can recover from a wound, don't give up on them.

As for the mites - the Permethryn 10 spray killed the Northern Fowl Mites. I applied where I could and avoided the wound and then reapplied approx. 6 days later. No more creepy crawlies that I can find.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and help - you guys helped to save her life!

Thanks for yous encouragement....since bathing her earlier and wrapping the wound she has been very lithargic....she will from time to time peck at the wounds and dressing. argh....I just don't have the heart to end her life yet. Trying to give her a little quiet time after the trauma with the bath and then I'll attempt more water and food. So far today she's had little.

Deb

Sometimes it takes a few days of rest and quiet before a hen snaps back from an attack. Keep her warm and clean the wounds and hopefully she will turn the corner.

I am truly NOT interested in egg production, but many sites are saying there is evidence that NO eggs should be eaten from poultry that have EVER had Batril....if that is the case, then she would ultimately have to be secluded from my other hens and that seems a terrible shame, too. After I posted that, I realized it seemed so inhumane, but I truly do have her best interest in mind. I don't know that just human companionship would be the same as being back with her buddies as I'd have to keep her apart to use any eggs.

Anyone have a link or instructions on how to get fluids in her better....first day she drank from a cup but not now. I fear dehydration but realize if I don't do it right I could get it in her lungs.

Thanks!!!

If you can keep him eating, protected from flies and the other chickens or critters attacking/pecking him, and he keeps pooping, then I'd keep treating him. The Vetrycin was great and I sprayed it as often as I could, at least 3-4 times a day in the beginning and put the neosporin on her when the wound was so bad - towards the end I backed off but did try to keep it clean. Don't use peroxide - it's tough on the tissues, despite that being what was the norm in the old days. I did make my own saline solution when I needed to clean in the beginning and to soften the scab, then always put on the Vetrycin when I was finished then the neosporin.

Good luck!!! They are amazingly resilient and if you persist and help you may be successful.

BTW, Neosporin did reply and said their product is intended for human use and they could not comment regarding the eggs.....didn't see a response from Vetrycyn and the mite spray responded that there was no delay in consumption time after treatment. We decided to go ahead and eat the eggs - they're for us as we don't sell and figure they are better than anything from a store.

Liltygar - if your boy is unable to dust bath and preen as he might normally which mine was, watch out for mites. They made me breakout and gave me the hebbie gebbies....they are really, really small and one of the signs is shaking their head and looking for the nits/eggs. If you look carefully you can see them if they have them. The med. got rid of mine.

It takes a long time to heal, but chickens are SO resilent. I had a partridge Cochin attached by an English setter. She had gaping holes in her flesh as well and she didn't walk for a few weeks. At some point the wounds turned purple/black and yellowish colors and had an odd odor. I thought she had gangrene. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Not sure of your location, but word of advice, watch for maggots.

Also I gave a hen to a neighbor & sadly he brought her to us months later and said "I'm so sorry, but my dog attacked her & I just can't put her down." I took her out of the box, put her on the grass & she fell to her side. She tried to hop on one foot, but was not using the other leg at all. I put her in a small cage to limit her mobility for a week or two.

Both of my chickens made full recoveries. Keep a close eye on her, as long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping, the outlook is good. Keep us posted:D

I had a hen get attacked by a fox last summer it wasn't pretty. It tore her side open pretty bad. I washed her w warm water dried her w my hair drier :) and applied blue kote b/c I end have vetracyn and she was back to herself in a few weeks. I also had another hen get picked raw on her back and I repeated the above on her as well an she made a full recovery too. Chickens are tough.

Thanks for yous encouragement....since bathing her earlier and wrapping the wound she has been very lithargic....she will from time to time peck at the wounds and dressing. argh....I just don't have the heart to end her life yet. Trying to give her a little quiet time after the trauma with the bath and then I'll attempt more water and food. So far today she's had little.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom