DOG ATTACK, QUICK QUESTION (or two) PLEASE!

newchickowner

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Texas
I found my chicken caked in mud lying on her back in my yard. Appears that a dog "play" attacked her. There are no lacerations, or broken bones that I can tell. She can move her wings, and walk, though slowly because I'm sure she's sore.

I took her inside my home, bathed the mud off her and inspected her very closely. She had some minor scrapes that I treated with antibiotic once it was clean and dry. I've been able to get her to drink just fine. But she's not interested in any food, even her favorites.

Also, there is a gathering of fluid under the skin from the first time I found her on her back above her right "shoulder" (where the wing attaches to the body) in 24 hours, it hasn't gotten any bigger, but her body hasn't absorbed the fluid yet either. I can see through the skin that it's not blood because there is no bruised coloring as of yet. Just a large blister.

Her crop was pretty full of grain when I first found her but in 24 hours I feel no grain and the whole crop is firm but soft as if filled with fluid also.

My few questions,
What do I do about the soft crop? will her body absorb the fluid of both the blister and what's in her crop? and I'm sure that's why she's not hungry, but I wanted to make sure that was why she wasn't eating.

I'm putting vitamins in her water that she's drinking, she's warm inside my large garden tub in my bathroom and it's quiet in there. She layed a soft egg this afternoon, I'm sure do to the stress. And her poop is still normal in color, though a little runny.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I would think going into shock would be a big concern so just keep her isolated and still and warm right now. She'll be o.k. without food and water for a little while but just keep the bowls near her so she can eat/drink when she feels up to it. I wouldn't try to do anything else to her just yet.

yes, I forgot to mention that a shallow water bowl and food bowl are in the tub too. Thank goodness for those large garden tubs I guess.

Thanks, I didn't know if I could do anymore than just make her as comfortable as I can. She softly clucks to me when I go in to help her drink, I take that as a good sign.

thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom