Dog Food

My LGDs were on American journey puppy we switched to blue Buffalo they hated it vet told us just normal dog chow or Diamond naturals would be great and we went with dog chow. I owned a greyhound 13 years the rescue also highly recommended Diamond dog food.

Diamond always made me nervous with all of the recalls they've had.
Purina dog chow is what we had always fed our dogs, until my dog Avery started having that rash all on her face. I don't know if she developed an allergy to something in it, but she had it for several months, and when we switched to this new stuff it was gone in just a few days. I also started noticing weird things in the Purina dog chow, the one bag of beef dog chow was FULL of cow hair. It was gross. The whole inside of the bag was full of cow hair too. It looked like they just ground up a cow hide. The dogs didn't seem to mind, but I did. Gross. It was getting hard to find anyway so I wasn't too sad about switching.

Diamond always made me nervous with all of the recalls they've had.
Purina dog chow is what we had always fed our dogs, until my dog Avery started having that rash all on her face. I don't know if she developed an allergy to something in it, but she had it for several months, and when we switched to this new stuff it was gone in just a few days. I also started noticing weird things in the Purina dog chow, the one bag of beef dog chow was FULL of cow hair. It was gross. The whole inside of the bag was full of cow hair too. It looked like they just ground up a cow hide. The dogs didn't seem to mind, but I did. Gross. It was getting hard to find anyway so I wasn't too sad about switching.
Oh wow that’s nasty! It seems like you’ve had a lot of issues with it so probably best to just stay away from that one then. Have you tried Victor? That’s a good food and not too expensive. Or Four Health from TSC. But the one you’re feeding seems like a good food too and should be perfectly fine.

Oh wow that’s nasty! It seems like you’ve had a lot of issues with it so probably best to just stay away from that one then. Have you tried Victor? That’s a good food and not too expensive. Or Four Health from TSC. But the one you’re feeding seems like a good food too and should be perfectly fine.
I have no idea why it was that way, so weird. Maybe it was just an odd batch.
My cousin here in town that has Maggie's brother feeds Victor. I think it seems pretty good too. It's about $10 more expensive here though.
I think 4Health is made by Diamond? I did look at it, it's more expensive at our TSC and it's further away than runnings, but it looked pretty good to me. I had just heard it was made by Diamond and thought I'd try something else first.

I have no idea why it was that way, so weird. Maybe it was just an odd batch.
My cousin here in town that has Maggie's brother feeds Victor. I think it seems pretty good too. It's about $10 more expensive here though.
I think 4Health is made by Diamond? I did look at it, it's more expensive at our TSC and it's further away than runnings, but it looked pretty good to me. I had just heard it was made by Diamond and thought I'd try something else first.
Yeah it could have just been a bad batch. I would have tried to get my money back or at least coupons or something.

I’ve fed Victor before and it was good although it’s definitely a little more expensive than some others.

I’m not sure who Four Health is made by. You’re probably right. I’ve never looked into it myself.

Honestly if what you’re feeding is working then I would stick to it. It seems like a good food and no reason to switch if it’s working for them!

That’s not necessarily true when it comes to dog food. My dad was the marketing manager for one of the larger dog food manufacturers. A lot of the high end name brands and off brands were made in the same factory with same quality ingredients. However, the high end brands were marketed towards higher income buyers and while the off brands were marketed toward lower income. They make the most money by selling to all audiences.
I've come completely full circle with this, it's one of those subjects where everyone in somewhere different in their own circle. I started 40years ago feeding Newfies Eukanuba. Then I fell for the grain free craze and went through high priced grain free kibble; then RAW; then cooked food. My Leonbergers and Newfies live their longest lives on any kibble that the right protien and fat content (those cost more, they just do,) and the home cooked food that I supplement with. I no longer 100% replace kibble as it is very hard to cover all nutritional needs with your own ingredients. I did it for a few years and my dogs did realize good health but it was exhausting. I don't believe they thrive on poor quality (low protein, high fat, no fiber) food. A few of my Newfies have lived to 13 and I'm back to feeding Leo pups Eukanuba until 1 year old.

Any recommendations for a possibly pregnant dog? I bred mine two weeks ago so if it took she'd be around 2 weeks pregnant. I still have her on the same food as the other dogs but I will be switching her eventually if she is pregnant. Loyall life does make a couple puppy foods.

Our older dog, Sage, is 6. She's a yellow lab and has always tended to put on weight. The other two are both yellow labs as well but have always been a really good weight.
Make food changes slowly. Pregnancy requires higher protein and greater calories. I don't mess with RAW with pregnant bitches and I do add supplements. Study Ingredients and nutrient levels, calories, etc. instead of asking people what "brands." Everyone has a favorite and you'll get way to many different answers. That said I've used Eukanuba, Acana, Purina Pro Plan and Columbia Naturals (meat chubs to cook: Rabbit, Quail, Duck, White Fish.)

I've come completely full circle with this, it's one of those subjects where everyone in somewhere different in their own circle. I started 40years ago feeding Newfies Eukanuba. Then I fell for the grain free craze and went through high priced grain free kibble; then RAW; then cooked food. My Leonbergers and Newfies live their longest lives on any kibble that the right protien and fat content (those cost more, they just do,) and the home cooked food that I supplement with. I no longer 100% replace kibble as it is very hard to cover all nutritional needs with your own ingredients. I did it for a few years and my dogs did realize good health but it was exhausting. I don't believe they thrive on poor quality (low protein, high fat, no fiber) food. A few of my Newfies have lived to 13 and I'm back to feeding Leo pups Eukanuba until 1 year old.
Kinda random but I love Leos and Newfies 😍😍😍 do you breed them?

Kinda random but I love Leos and Newfies 😍😍😍 do you breed them?
Aren't they the best!!! I am incredibly lucky to have 2 very good friends who breed Leo's and my Dad was a Newfie Breeder. Very serious well-known lines with both..... I do intend to breed my Leo pup if all works out with him. I can tell you more in PM if you'd like.

Aren't they the best!!! I am incredibly lucky to have 2 very good friends who breed Leo's and my Dad was a Newfie Breeder. Very serious well-known lines with both..... I do intend to breed my Leo pup if all works out with him. I can tell you more in PM if you'd like.
That is awesome!! And sure, I’d love that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom