dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

Can you post photos of the wounds?... there are many on here hens that have recovered from huge, gaping wounds, muscles exposed, etc. With proper care things are recoverable that may look quite dire. I had one like that, following my gut not to put her down and now she is back with the flock, an area of skin was gone larger than the size of an adult hand exposing muscle and some organs. she did require quite a bit of care, but after 2.5 months is now back with the other hens, laying and nearly all feathers grew back!

Can you post photos of the wounds?... there are many on here hens that have recovered from huge, gaping wounds, muscles exposed, etc. With proper care things are recoverable that may look quite dire. I had one like that, following my gut not to put her down and now she is back with the flock, an area of skin was gone larger than the size of an adult hand exposing muscle and some organs. she did require quite a bit of care, but after 2.5 months is now back with the other hens, laying and nearly all feathers grew back!
Yes, I can get the photos. It will be in a few hours so I can have someone help me hold her.

Thanks.

A vet would have recommended I put down my "patient" too. Not because she couldn't recover (she has) but because vet treatment would have been hundreds.

She was however really helpful with advice.

The chicken also lost about half the skin on her abdomen and I was advised to irrigate with saline twice a day, give Meloxicam as a painkiller and antibiotics for 7 days, keep in a clean area and offer food she likes.

The first 3 days were tough and I wasn't sure she would make it. We're just over a week now, there's no infection ( there was a small abscess which I drained) and she is very active, vocal and very, very hungry. Totally worth the effort!

we took her to the vet.
She is on liquid Baytril.
cleansing the wounds.
the vet said she should be put down.
I can't do it.
If she is not suffering . I'm with you..........
I'm not convinced that all vets understand our connection with thee little guys.
Good Luck with her......................

Last edited:
Whispers and dog bites. She does not eat very much. I am concerned about not eating. She does have some poo. Her appetite is not good.

Very deep on the one upper right, bone.

I hope she makes it. Her name is Whispers.

I suppose I could tube feed her. I saved a "how to tube" from an expert.

Thank you very much. I am going to weigh her tomorrow so as to keep track.

she does have a smell of rot from the big wound.
This bothers me alot!

Will this go away with cleansing and irrigating ??

Back
Top Bottom