dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

If your vet gave you chlorhexidine,i would use that,my understanding is they are very similar. I would clean wound more frequently,do to infection setting in. Are wounds healing? Neosporin you are using has no pain relief ending in "caine" ie: lidocaine,this is toxic to chickens. I would also use what Casportpony suggested,your chick is very sick and probably in shock,keep her warm,quiet. You can only do your best,and you are!
The wounds are not healing. some places just have bones. This is the fourth day since attack.
Cleaning more.

Thank you,
Marygrace.

The wounds are not healing. some places just have bones. This is the fourth day since attack.
Cleaning more.

Thank you,
Marygrace.
Mg15,there is a thread from achickenwrangler#1 on 8/21/12 hen mauled by dog,large skinless wound. This thread is what you need,explains the whole process of what to do for your chick,wounds on this thread are similar to what you are dealing with. I cannot find a way to link this, if someone can great.

I found the link you mentioned, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700172/hen-mauled-by-dog-large-skinless-wound-gashed-muscle-look-help-advise-please-pics/30

gauze, the wet to dry,,,and the packing.
We found where the rot smell was coming from, the wound under her wing, flushed it out real good,

Whispers ate today, a little, at least she had an appetite. but you know how this goes,,,if she stops eating altogether, tubing is my only answer.

Thank you,
Marygrace.

At least she ate,hopefully this is a good sign. Keep posting updates on Whispers.

I understand how you feel about putting her down...I had to do that this morning with one of mine, it broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do
sad.png
I hate it that the dogs killed your flock, I think I would have killed the dogs if I caught them. I wish you the best

Question about the Baytril... You said that you're giving 2ml, but you didn't say if it was the 10% or the 2.27%.

-Kathy

Question about the Baytril... You said that you're giving 2ml, but you didn't say if it was the 10% or the 2.27%.

-Kathy
It does not say on the cherry flavored pre mixed solution the vet gave me. So I am thinking it is the 2.27%

Whispers weight is 4 3/4 lbs.
If she has lost weight I will post the loss and go from there. She did eat an egg yesterday. She ate a little today, so sad to see her just ignore food and nibble.
The attack was last Friday so it will be a week tomorrow.
There is that rot smell.
Packed three holes just now and going to remove it in a few hours and new in for the nite.

She takes her medicine pretty good.

She communicates with her whisper sounds. she is alert, warm to the feet and comb and wattles.

I understand how you feel about putting her down...I had to do that this morning with one of mine, it broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do
sad.png
I hate it that the dogs killed your flock, I think I would have killed the dogs if I caught them. I wish you the best
I hate to say this, but it was our dog that did it. And she is still alive.
I looked up German Shepherd Rescues. They look flaky.
Here in Nebraska there is the Hearts United for Animals.
I tried one time before to get her in there. they wouldn't take her.
Because she wasn't a stray.
This is all sickening. I took her in because nobody wanted her and she has had three different homes. It makes me wanna cry.

I am so sad. :( If I were you I would not want to put her down at all. Ask your vet if she is in pain. If she is not just keep her. Spend alot of time with her before she goes. If she is in pain, I hate to say this but I think it would be best for her to put her out of her misery. Once again, I am so sorry

This is so so sad! I am SO very sorry for you.
Who's dog was it? If not yours have you reported it as it obviously came onto your property?!
Luckily ( hoping not to temp fate here ) none of my girls have ever suffered an attack or injury. Although my quail have, some terrible wounds beyond help. The ones that are help able, I worry myself silly over. First for infection, second for shock. I always clean the wound thoroughly, put them on heat separate from any other bird. Make sure they are drinking then eating. I tend to them daily, cleaning wounds, keeping their area clean. That's exhausting ( more mentally and emotionally that any thing else )
I understand what you mean by the smell though, years back one of our cats ( theres a reason for this story )
Lola went missing. We found her walking the dog around 8 days later, her collar had somehow got pushed over her paw and cut deeply into her pit/under arm. The smell was just aweful!! I honestly thought Maggots, it smelt like a rotting dead animal.
We rushed her to the vets as soon as we found her ( around 9 at night this was )
They put her on fluids as it was middle of summer. She went to surgery the following morning and had some of the infected flesh removed. They couldn't stitch due to where the wound was. It took about 4 weeks ( two of which with this horrendous smell ) she wasn't allowed out for pbvious reasons. Had to clean the wound several times a day. With your chook ( bless her heart ) the removal of infected skin seems unlikely or possible given how wide it is. I'd keep a very close eye on it, if it seems to be getting worse, don't hesitate in taking her back to the vet! I'd also see about pain relief, she must be in so much discomfort, probably why she's lost her appetite couple with infection and shock.
I really do hope she recovers, keep us posted?
And definitely if the dog was not yours, report it! If it can do this to chickens, what else can it hurt? My dogs 1 jackrussell 2 chihuahuas are not allowed to bother any other pets be it chickens, cats, rabbits or birds. They pay no attention what so ever, been around them since pups.
Just so sorry for you, can't imagine how aweful it must be.

Back
Top Bottom