Dog proof goose feeder

kathy32

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2018
Could anyone give me ideas for a goose food setup that my dog couldn't get into? Both roam more or less freely - the geese more so than the dog. Right now the goose food is just in a bowl and he can gobble down an awful lot in just a minute or two. Obviously training can be done but if it was just inaccessible to him it would be easier! It doesn't need to be 100% dog proof, just to slow him down enough that I see what he is up to before he eats the whole dish. Thanks for any suggestions!!

I don't know geese but I do know dogs. No such thing as dog proof, IME. One thing you could do is feed the geese at certain times, like morning and evening, then pick up the food, before letting the dog out. It may take a few days for them to realize they need to eat before the food goes away, but they will figure it out. If you really worry they are not getting enough, maybe scatter food on the ground. That wouldn't stop my dog, but it would slow him down.

Could anyone give me ideas for a goose food setup that my dog couldn't get into? Both roam more or less freely - the geese more so than the dog. Right now the goose food is just in a bowl and he can gobble down an awful lot in just a minute or two. Obviously training can be done but if it was just inaccessible to him it would be easier! It doesn't need to be 100% dog proof, just to slow him down enough that I see what he is up to before he eats the whole dish. Thanks for any suggestions!!
You could use a chicken feeder.

I feed mine out of bowls, geese can get their heads and necks stuck in chicken feeders as they’re growing and as adults it can be difficult for them to reach their feed.

I have dogs myself who will eat their feed if given a chance so what I do is feed my geese at morning or/and at night in their night pens. It also ensures that everyone gets an equal chance to eat because I have 11 geese and they sometimes squabble over food.

Not a lot of people like doing that because it creates a lot of mess and more droppings and you need to clean more often, especially with their water buckets which is needed if they’re eating, so there are some major downsides to my way.

Some things that do help curb the mess is to keep the bowls in bus bins, if it does spill it’s still in the bin, and dropped food usually ends up in the bin too. Water buckets I usually weigh down with a big rock in the bottom which keeps them from tipping over. I like to use 8 quart buckets so they have plenty of drinking water but not big enough to really bathe in. It also helps if the buckets are in a low corner that can drain outwards.

Back
Top Bottom