gander penis color ?s

EAS

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2023
Hello BYC community!

I have 12 chickens (various breeds), 1 rooster which does NOT crow (his name is Mister Sister), 4 ducks (various breeds) and 2 Chinese geese (1 goose and 1 gander). It all started 14 years ago with 4 RIR hens. Yes, I have that awful wonderful chicken math affliction.

With the recent consecutive days of single digit temps here, the fowl's baby pool water stayed frozen.
I recently witnessed my gander mating with the goose on the ground (I was looking down from the deck and they were just below).
I had stepped out on the deck to throw food scraps to the chickens, so I called them up by names and hollered "Girls!". I believe my presence and voice disturbance was why the gander dismounted the goose while I was observing them. The gander's penis was still out and I swear it looked very dark, almost black. I know it was his penis b/c it had that fat cone shape. I am still perplexed as to why his penis was that color. I called Cackle Hatchery to inquire about this and all they told me was to monitor for signs of infection and the color may be result of their not being able to bathe (dirty flesh). I find it hard to believe his penis could be that dirty to be very very gray and almost black.
Has anyone else seen this in their backyard gander? Is it normal? Please help. I want to take him to the vet ASAP if he's sick. He's the most tame of the two geese and I love to cuddle with them.

Yup, I checked online too and it's supposed to be fleshy tan/pink color IMHO. I still dunno why it was dark. I guess I'll go ahead and call the vet. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom