Dog run ?2 i

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
We built a beautiful dog run over the week end for my dogs - 16 x 32 with a nice dog house attached for them and of course buried wire down and in lol dont wantescapees.
? is - it gets a fair bit of sun in the afternoon so I want to plant something along the one side about 1 foot back to provide shade
any suggestions - we were thinking raspberries and blackberries or lilacs or something.

I wouldn't do blackberries as it will grow into the run. Plus I just HATE blackberries for how invasive they are. They sure do taste good in the fall though.
Look into something evergreen that grows upright like a good hedge. Will provide shade all year long and won't look bad in the winter.
I would stay away from Holly bushes and Juniper.

Quote:
I think that lilacs are a good idea. They grow and spread pretty fast and also can get tall enough to hide that hot sun
smile.png

We have blackberries along our dog yard. Yes they are invasive. They will steadily creep in to the yard if you don't keep whacking them off. Last year they managed to get 4' in on us before we cut them all down. Our yard is big enough it doesn't matter but in a small run you better be prepared to cut them back several times a year after they get established. Raspberries aren't quite as bad but can definitely get out of hand as well. If you want berries without giving up the whole fence line to them then stick to bushes like blueberries. Grapevines aren't too bad and my neighbor has them along his dog run but you may still have to cut them off once a year. Otherwise the lilacs are a better choice. I am doing raspberries and grapevines along the chicken run but of course those will be thoroughly trimmed if they grow in to the run at all.

Thanks everyone! - I am thinking grapevine - and hoping my dog doesnt chew it to bits - if she does it will be lilacs I think - I really hate trimming up raspberry bushes lol -
I was thinking blueberries but they dont really get all that big.

Most blueberries sold here say they get 7-8' high and nearly as wide. They do take awhile though. Mine went from a 1' stick to 4' high and 3' wide in 2 years.

Quote:
No, no, no, no grapevines, they have "recently" found that grapes/raisins are poisonus to dogs and I know that any of mine would surely eat them if they could get to them!!!

The grape poisonings are really random and only occur when the dogs eat tons of grapes. It would depend if the dogs are going to get a hold of lots of grapes before the people. Then the grapes would have to be carrying whatever is causing the poison(I forget what the theory was). The odds are low but yes dogs have been poisoned by grapes and raisins.

Quote:
True but vet bills are so high, why risk it, when there are so many other plants/bushes to choose from! (I am a worry wart so I always err on the side of caution) lol

Back
Top Bottom