Dog Tired of Excuses

Outinspace18

Hatching
Jun 2, 2018
Just needing to vent here. Anyone else tired of hearing all the excuses about people not training their dogs to behave around their chickens? I keep hearing about, "Oh, my dog went and killed my chickens." and we've had issues with neighbors' dogs, who also had birds (keyword 'had'). I have two hunting breeds that don't bother my chickens. We taught them to leave them alone since we first got chicks. Are people just afraid they're being too 'mean' to their dogs by making them behave?

I think they are in denial that their dogs would hurt anything. Also probably too lazy to train them - takes effort. Plus its cheap to buy more chicks.

I've often read of folks on their 3 rd. time purchasing chicks to replace all the ones slaughtered or the kids left the door open and the dog got them or neighbor kids were throwing the chicks in the air to see them fly.

My neighbors said "it's not my dog" and I said "ok I will take care of it" and I did, and they lost 2 dogs.
Problem is any idiot can own a dog, I have 3 trained to hunt rodents. and guard my chickens. They are near me 24-7, like a 2 YO kid right under foot. But most will never bother with any training of any kind (ok not to poo inside, and where the food/water bowl is), then turn them out to ravage the hood,,, GRRrrrr!
A little responsibility and training goes a long way!

Saw a clutch of new chicks frolicking in the dog kennels yesterday, going from one high prey drive hunting hound to another. Hounds laid in the box, let the chicks catch flies. One of them is a known chicken killer. After training, which is the key, she once let a broody hen have her dog house. Saw her outside in the rain, went looking for hornets, found the hen. Moved the hen, there is reward for being a good dog, you can have your own box.

I've got a husky mix who is HIGHLY driven to hunt/kill and he leaves my chickens alone. He likes hearing good boy and getting belly/head rubs much better than having my old butt chase after him with a stick. Ok, I don't really chase him...but you get the idea. He was never a livestock guardian dog and was about 7 years old when I first got chickens.

He will go out and lay next to the coop or run and sleep in the shade while the chickens graze. He will also run my neighbors dog out of the yard to protect my chickens.

A good shocking collar does wonders. Watch from a window, and then zap them. I don't want them to think I am a bad guy, I want them to think that chickens of all age classes have magical powers allowing them to shoot lightning bolts from their beaks to punish any dog that thinks about messing with a chicken.

All I look for is neutral behavior. I have 7 dogs. A couple of them are never allowed within 50 ft of the enclosure. I have one that I would completely trust but still don't do it. The rest are fairly neutral. All my dogs have a good amount of training--1-2 yrs of actual classes but even the best trained dogs can make a mistake. There are some mistakes that can be fatal for the dog or others. I take no chances, dogs are dogs.

Most dogs can be taught that bird or small animal pet are part of the pack. When your leader of the pack it's pretty easy to teach a dog no. I had a grey hound and Italian grey hound and pet rabbits, while they had a great time chasing wild rabbits in the fields they would lay in my back yard while the rabbit would run circles around them. I know it must have taken strong self control to fight their instinct but yes you can teach them.

Hello...I have 5 dogs and 3 trained to be watching my Birds and property at all times.
I have a Maremma a Golden Retriver/ Aussie and a Yorkshire Terrier to watch or wrangle my Birds. All love to work. All does need is a job to do and proper training and the forgiveness from us if they don't always succeed.
My Dogs are fantastic and spoiled rotten.

I have no concern with whether or not someone trains their dogs or whether their dogs eat their chickens or not.
My only concern is that they keep their dogs off my property.
This goes with my thought of I'm really not concerned with what anyone else does or doesn't do as long as it doesn't involve me or mine.
Too many people want to worry about what's going on with everyone else over everything now days. Funny no one wants others in their business but they want to be in everyone else's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom