Dogs and Chicks how to train them to get along (PICS)

my dumb dog treats them like candy machines. he follows them around and even noses their butts to get a "poopy" treat SO GROSS!! LOL

My havanese is afraid of the chickens but my cattle dog is not. I think he wants to herd them honestly. i adopt the cesar milan training method and for a dog that has killed chickens before at another home ( before we owned him ) he is very good with the chickens i have. they are now ten weeks old and my cattle dog sleeps in the yard while they pick at his feet. no person's way of training is the right way...it depends on the dog. i use correction for negative behavior with some positive reinforcment but mostly stick to pack mentality stuff. you just have to work with your dog and try different things until you see it working and then stick with it. some dogs just kill and can't be 100% trained not to. some dogs just need direction from their pack leader.

As a dog trainer, I would never advise someone that they could trust a Terrier alone with small animals. Some dogs can handle that kind of self-restraint; Some dogs were bred not to. Just my 2 cp. Here's a dancing bunny:
bun.gif

For months We NEVER left the dogs alone with the chickens or chicks, we'd sit outside for hours, constantly correcting and praising the dogs for proper behavior. My 2 dogs are Jack Russell Terriers, 6 & 12 years old. Now, it's been almost a year, and the dogs can finally be trusted alone with our full-grown chickens. The newly hatched chicks require human guarding & observation any time outside their pen. (My opinion, firm & solid.)

Last edited:
Well I started trining this weekend. My chicks are aggressive toward my dogs. My chihuahua got pecked in the foot and started crying; I wish I got that on video. I had to stop training because I noticed that my poodle was sick; so I decided to keep them seperate for now. I will try again.

We have two Boxers, one big male and one little female, and we recently built a hen coop and bought some chicks. Before I put them in the coop they stayed in a box in our den where both dogs would sniff them curiously and I would tell them that those are our new babies. Rebel (male) is such a pushover that when you say "baby" he automatically thinks its his (he has sired two litters with our previous female boxer and adored the puppies). Mud (female) on the other hand likes their food (she should be a goat) and just wants to play with the chicks. (of course I don't let her as she is rough). Both of them help me "round" up the chicks when I need the chicks in their house, and Rebs will allow the chicks to play and peck on him. I think our attitude has helped our dogs realize that the chicks aren't chew toys or food, we just went with the flow basically.

PSSS. Good Luck with your training. You can do it!

Last edited:
I have a cattle dog and shepherd. They both do fine with adult chickens, but I have to keep the cattle dog away from the babies. If any of them fly or act crazy the cattle dog will bark, but he does not really bother them.

I use to let the dogs in the house about two hours before sun down. one day my son was to let the dogs in while I was outside the back yard mowing. later I looked up and one of the dags way still in the yard and the chickens were just walking around her. i then took the other two (one at a time) outaon a lead and they showed no interest with the girls so I let them loose. for the next few days I let them all out together for a few hours a day and sense the they sleep together, eat together and even share their water with each other

This is all very encouraging, I must say!

Our run is pretty much all in shade and with winter approaching, I would really like my girls out and about whenever possible, though certainly supervised, so hold thumbs..!
big_smile.png
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom