dogs and nasty habits

ozarkmomma

Songster
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
the ozarks
My Italian Greyhounds have ONE nasty habit. They love to get in the cat box and eat the "kitty treats" We do not have any place to keep the cat box where the dogs can't get into it. (we used to be able to keep it in the pantry with a baby gate)

Tractor Supply has a product that you are supposed to be able to feed to dogs to prevent them from eating their own feces (supposed to make it taste "bad"). I am wondering if I can give this to the cat? The ingredients include: Brewers Yeast, Cayenne, Biotin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 Niaciamide, Iron and Copper. I can't find anything that says it is harmful to cats.

I don't know about the product, but you might want to try dog-proofing the litter box.

If you have a small cat, you might be able to make a cover for the litter box with a small opening that the dogs head wont fit in. If your Italian Greyhounds have small heads, (which most do...) you might want to try facing the opening towards a corner wall with just enough room for the cat to squeeze by...

You could also try a sort of "top access litter box" like this: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-Top...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002ZS20I If you dont want to pay for it, I'm sure you could make one easily.

If these ideas dont work, just google "dog proof litter box" and I'm sure youll find other ideas!

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
I know that when a dog is eating its own poop, to feed them pinapple. It is suppose to make the dogs poop taste bad. Maybe you could try feeding pinapple to your cat?

If they are eating the cat's poo try mixinf Adolf's meat tenderizer in the cats food. We tell clients to do this so that then the cat feces taste bad (you'd think it already tastes bad). Your dog does have to eat some to figure out that its not good. Adolfs won't hurt your cat or the dog.

What your dog is doing is very normal. Dont give anything to your cat. YOur dog is going to keep doing it. YOu have to fix the box in a way that the dog cant get in it. It might take different tries but you will get it. The other solution is you can buy a cat litter that automatic sweep the litter clean as soon the cat jumps out of it. So there is less chances of the dog getting to it first.

Do NOT feed pineapple to the cat!!!!!!!! The acid eats away at their stomach lining and you would have a very sick cat in a couple of weeks........

...my cat box is in the laundry room with a baby gate as my Aussie will eat the food and the Kitty Roca...
roll.png

Our dogs used to do that. Maybe they still do when they find it outside, I dont know. I do know they seemed to stop doing it on their own when they got older AND when we switched to a better dog food. We switched them to a new food once they were about a year old and ready to get off puppy formula type food. Maybe that helped? IDK.

Now we have a new puppy, well she's not too new, about 8 months old and she has started dumping ove the baby diaper trash can we keep outside for poopy diapers, ans she is eating all the nasty contents!! BLECH!!! Now we have moved the can where she cant reach it, but it is not as convienent.

If you have just ooddles of spare time (and dont we all ???? LOL!!!) you could google how to toilet train your cat. I hear its not too hard, just takes time and patience.

Hope you can find a solution soon- poo eating is gross, isnt it???

Oh, by the way, I think copper is bad for cats...wanst that on the list of stuff you posted? Not sure though.....

I have two labradors that will eat anything so I know what you are going through. The concept of making poop "taste bad" I think is not worth the effort, its poop, how can it taste good? I am in agreement with getting the litter box in a location the dog can't get to. In our house we put a very small cat door in our laundry room door and as long as everyone remembers to shut the door the cat box goes undisturbed by the dogs. When my husband originally cut the door he did make the hole too big and the dog was able to get into it, so keep that in mind if this is an option for you. After adding significant trim our door is about 4 inches by 4 inches. I have fairly good sized cats and they can make their way in without issue. Good luck!

I have a baby gate with a cat door to where the litter is, needed it for the guide dog puppy I was socializing, not so much for my greyhound.

I have automatic litterboxes now too- the circular ones that rotate really slowly.

Back
Top Bottom