Dogs attacked twice

ninabl

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
franklin ky
I lost 2 hens and a rooster the other day to some dogs. I'm guessing they Belong to some one in the neighborhood down the road. I went out on the porch and fired a few shots out of my 22 to scare them off and kind of warn them not to come back. Then tonight my wife called me at work and told me they got one of my hens and my other rooster. I just got home from work and think the hen will be ok but can't find the rooster. It's still dark and he might be hiding out somewhere in the yard. I was wondering if any one knows what the laws are in Kentucky. I am wondering if they come back tomorrow and i take them out with a 12 Gage if I will get in trouble for that. I'm just tired of losing good chickens to someone who cant watch there dogs. I'm not a dog hater I just keep mind on a runner when he's out side and think they shouldn't be running free like that. And not to mention the 50$ in birds I lost in a week.
Thanks

Hope you get the dogs and charge the owner.Yea, it sure does stink how some people think dogs roam and cause no issues for others.....just like cat owners.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuskyst258_325.htm http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuskyst258_005_991.htm#s265

from what I can find out, the law that the dog can be shot was repealed in 2004. I would check with your local district attorney and animal control office before I shot the dogs.

KY does have a general fund, however, for reimbursing farmers for lost livestock. If your own dogs are unlicensed, however, you aren't allowed to make a claim. It's definitely something that I would check into.

I always call the deputies with a description of the dog and the approximate area where it lives. I have them write me an incident report so that my butt is covered if I do have to shoot the dogs in the future. 9 out of 10 times, they easily find the owner and warn them that the dogs can be shot if they continue the behavior. The report always states if the owner was able to be contacted (more covering my butt)

Get in touch with your local police department. Here (in Louisiana) a gun can be fired outside city limits and a neighbors dog can be killed in your yard if you, children, pets, or livestock feel threatened by it. Tampering with livestock, by human or dog, can be a big deal and highly punishable in some places as well.

If you can get in touch with the dog's owner that may fix your problem. I would do as above suggested. Call the police, file a report, then if it's still an issue, get rid of the dog. I can't imagine ever being told you can't protect your livestock from predators.

I live here in eastern Ky and I am not sure about the laws about shooting them but I know every county should have an animal control agent. The last place I lived my neighbor had another neighbors removed because their dogs kept getting out and pooping on her lawn. She called when she saw the dogs and they came and got them. They were released once the owner paid the fine but it sends a strong message.

Also I have been told that once a dog get a taste of fresh chicken that they will continue to come back till there are no more chickens.

If it were me I would warn the owner of the dogs that they will be killed if they come on your property again. Most of the time they will control them and if not they were warned and fire away. I lost 10 out of 13 birds to a wild dog so I know how you feel.

Cetawin would be the one to ask. A deputy shot a rottweiler on her property (he just happened to be standing talking to her when a rottie came running by with one of her chickens in its mouth). He told the owner, who also has two other dogs that roam, plus another owner whose dog ran with the rottie, that she was to drop the dogs on sight if they came back onto her place, that she had the right. She lives in Sadieville, KY. I'll tell her about this thread so she can comment-she knows the laws there.

I am sorry for your losses, I know how you feel. I lost several roos and hens in the one attack. Thankfully the dog went into my coop and got a surprise...7 roosters and several feisty hens defended my flock and fought back. Call local law enforcement and give your address and the problem, they will tell you about the ordinances for your area. I am north of Georgetown, in the County, and was told long ago to shoot them. The day of the attack I had 2 deputies here for another matter when the dog attacked...it came running past a deputy and I who had drawn his sidearm after hearing the ruckus...the dog came by with my young roo, Atlas in its mouth and I told the officer to drop the dog it was not mine. He did. He instructed me to shoot the other two if they came back on the property.

I know there is reimbursement for livestock in KY but not always is poultry considered livestock, check your local ordinances. Most animal control offices will not send someone for a dog running loose, been there done that call. However, it is my understanding that throughout KY you can shoot a dog that is attacking, killing or chasing livestock on your property and the amount of damages you are entitled to is multiplied after each attack.

So, call a cop, tell them and if you get the ok, shoot the dogs. Personally, I would shoot the dogs and worry about it later, unlessyou are within city limits. I do not mess around with predators. I shoot them period.

Last edited:
Get in touch with your local police department. Here (in Louisiana) a gun can be fired outside city limits and a neighbors dog can be killed in your yard if you, children, pets, or livestock feel threatened by it. Tampering with livestock, by human or dog, can be a big deal and highly punishable in some places as well.

If you can get in touch with the dog's owner that may fix your problem. I would do as above suggested. Call the police, file a report, then if it's still an issue, get rid of the dog. I can't imagine ever being told you can't protect your livestock from predators.
I know this is an old thread but I too have this issue the last 2 1/2 weeks. Some dogs killed almost everything I had and then came back this morning and got the rest. The local police told me nothing they can do since an animal attacked another animal. Just give them a citation. Which they did the first time and this guy couldn't find it nowhere in the system. And I had them in a fence.

I know this is an old thread but I too have this issue the last 2 1/2 weeks. Some dogs killed almost everything I had and then came back this morning and got the rest. The local police told me nothing they can do since an animal attacked another animal. Just give them a citation. Which they did the first time and this guy couldn't find it nowhere in the system. And I had them in a fence.

Sounds like you have a good case for a lawsuit against the dog owners. Make sure you have a police report and take a lot of pictures if there are still remains of the attacks.

Back
Top Bottom