Dogs attacking rats. Can they get sick?

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
Hello everyone, today we found a rats nest inside the back of my fridge.?!? He was sneaking in dog food to his little nest and living off of that
1f616.png
He's probably been in there a month or two as I recently cleaned it and found dropping and then this morning I saw more and knew that those droppings couldn't of been that old. So today I moved the fridge out and had my daschund (weiner dog) attack it as she loves hunting and I noticed the rat had bit her when she tried to shake him off. She didn't yipe and there wasn't blood coming from her so my concern is could she get sick.? Could she get rabies or something from the rat.? Wouldn't we have gotten sick if it was in the house so long peeing and pooping in the room with the fridge.? She has killed rats before and I don't know if she was bitten or not but this time I seen her get bit
1f633.png

most likely to get sick from rat droppings or parasites carried by them than from a bite. That's what daschies were created to do.

If your dog is killing rats, make sure it is immunized against leptospirosis. I don't remember if lepto is included in the regular shots or not. A dog (or other animal) can get lepto from exposure to rat urine.

Doxies are bred to be varment dogs. Let her kill every single rat she finds. As has already been said, just be sure she has had all the proper vaccinations.

Back
Top Bottom