Dogs Killing My Chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CariLynn that is the very first lesson I ever learned about firearms. A gun serves only 1 purpose - to kill things. If you don't intend to make something dead, then do NOT pick up a gun. Get a stick, a rock, make noise, but a gun is not the tool you need.

Once again I'm trying to save the dog. You all want it dead and thats OK too. But you can't make a case for how humane you are. I have a .40 cal Glock too. But its not used for shooting at running animal targets. You are much better than me if you can fire a killing shot at a moving target the size of a dog with a .40 Glock. I use my .40 Glock for intruders I meet in my hallway in the middle of the night. I love your neighbors choice of a rifle with a scope. I bet his kill success rate is the highest.

At 75 yards I would let you shoot me with #8 buckshot if I had my back turned. And why do police use rubber bullets in their guns sometimes? Could it be that they want to send a message but not kill anyone? Guns have many uses other than killing.

again, though, in a LOT of places anything other than a kill shot is going to get you an animal cruelty charge. My husband worked in law enforcement in 2 different states. Each one, it was legal to kill a dog that attacked livestock but shooting to wound was a huge fine. Now, if you shot to kill but only wounded, then you were ok. But if you were shooting with birdshot? Then it is obvious that you didn't intend to kill the dog and that is a felony here in AR. Personally, I'd prefer that the idiots keep the dogs at home but since they aren't responsible enough for that no WAY am I going to be charged with a serious crime. The same goes for paintball guns, BB guns, and other similar methods. If it can hurt the dog and cause a chance of pain or injury, then the cops have the option of charging the person shooting the dog. The livestock laws don't include a "less than lethal" option.

Rubber bullets are for humans. Where a less-than-lethal option is preferred. Usually they are used to subdue suspects. Now, if the cops are sent to arrest a violent person? They aren't bringing the bean bags.

Think of it this way. Someone is attacking you and you shoot them. If you only shoot to wound, you will most likely be charged. Why? Because if you are in fear of your life and claiming self-defense, then why would you only want to scare them off? The same basic principle is at work here. If your animals and livelihood are being threatened, then the goal is to eliminate the threat.

Oh man. On the rez. I don't know that I'd shoot someones dog on the rez. We get so many scary arse cases from there. I'd be too worried about retribution even if they were at fault. Otherwise I live in the country and expect my dogs to be shot if I don't control them on my property.

In Arkansas shooting and killing or injuring a animal is considered animal cruelty. Its a unclassified misdemeanor punishable by no less than 150 dollars and no less than 1,000 dollars and/or imprisonment of no less than one day and no more than one year. Same thing that could happen to you if they found your chickens without water.

My local sheriff was a driving force behind getting the law changed to include a felony. Believe me, if you shoot a dog here in Baxter Co, you WILL be charged with a felony.

I have been advised this on numerous occasions by both deputies and the sheriff himself. The reason is that the livestock protection law does NOT contain an option for less-than-lethal methods. Again, though, even less-than-lethal has it's limits The first thing AC or the sheriff's office will tell you is to kill the dog. They will also advise to make SURE you kill the dog in order to not be charged yourself.

They do not charge you if your intent was to kill the dog and you missed/wounded. If it is obvious that you only meant to wound the dog, then you are going to get a summons. My husband was a deputy here when that law was passed and sat through many training sessions on it as well as worked some animal cruelty cases after the law changed.

Last edited:
it is because all laws are subject to the interpretation of the individuals who enforce them. They are taking this law in a black and white view. The livestock section says that you are allowed to KILL dogs that are attacking livestock. The law says that you can not torture dogs. The sheriff believes that purposefully WOUNDING a dog is cruel (and torture) because there is no way for the shooter to know if the dog is a stray. A stray dog that is merely wounded can be left to die a slow and painful death. Therefore, if you wound on purpose then you are guilty of cruelty.

Of course, a jury of your peers might decide to acquit, but then again they might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom