Doing an experiment! Will it work?

dustrag73

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2016
I have 9 hens and no roosters. Down the road from me is a farmer that has self-serve eggs (they put the eggs in a cooler in the back of a wagon and you pay by putting the money in a coffee can)...anyway, I went there today and there was carton with dark green, light green, and super dark brown eggs.

I heard a rooster crowing so when I went home I checked the fertility of a couple of the eggs and I saw a distinct bullseye in each.

So I stuck them in my Brinsea Mini Advance incubator after slowing warming them to room temperature.

I'm wondering how much hatch rate will be affected by the fact that they were chilled to refrigerator temperature and that they were washed.

I figure it's worth a shot though! Any advice? This will be my first hatch in a long time.

I THINK YOU WILL HAVE SUCCESS..... Brace yourself for some EE and Morans.
smile.png

Oooooooo, I think I would be very happy with that! Hope it works, I'll keep this thread updated, even if it fails. :)

If it fails, then don't give up.... Try again, but this time talk to the farmer and ask him for non refrigerated eggs, and the washing can be skipped, but I don't think the washing is all that detrimental.
idunno.gif

Thanks...yeah, I won't be super disappointed if it doesn't work. I would try again! And yes, that's a great idea about asking the farmer.

If it fails, then don't give up.... Try again, but this time talk to the farmer and ask him for non refrigerated eggs, and the washing can be skipped, but I don't think the washing is all that detrimental.
idunno.gif

x2. Just ask for unwashed eggs. Several times when I set eggs I pulled some from the incubator either because I wanted more of a certain kind, or the one I wanted to include didn't ay that day or wanted more eggs in the incubator.
Of the large fowl eggs I have pulled from the refrigerator only one hasn't hatched so you run a good chance of hatching something. Good luck.

Many have hatched refrigerated eggs.
I stuck one under a broody,
13 days in the fridge(the egg not the broody haha!),
and it hatched just fine.

Last edited:
It's now day 5...we candled two of the eggs and couldn't see anything in the darkest brown egg..........but definite veins in the blue egg! OMG

I believe the white egg is a dud...will candle one final time tomorrow and if there is no sign of life then I'll pitch it? Blue egg still growing nicely! Now on day 13.

Back
Top Bottom