Dolly Parton or Darius Rucker - Golden Comet Chick

mlanyi4

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
Wilmington, NC
We got this sweet chick, Dolly Parton, listed as a golden commet pullet. I was skeptical because of how light she was. As she’s maturing her comb is more pronounced than the other chicks and she’s getting lighter and lighter. Do y’all think Dolly Parton is actually a Darius Rucker?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5494.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 10
We got this sweet chick, Dolly Parton, listed as a golden commet pullet. I was skeptical because of how light she was. As she’s maturing her comb is more pronounced than the other chicks and she’s getting lighter and lighter. Do y’all think Dolly Parton is actually a Darius Rucker?
Thanks!
Not a Golden Comet pullet. You are right that a female Golden Comet should have a darker color (gold or red).

The chick could be a Golden Comet male, or some other breed male, or (much less likely) a female of some other breed. Given the comb, I really doubt that you have a female of any breed, I just cannot 100% rule it out yet.

After further investigation, it may be a Leghorn Pullet. We finally found the receipt and that’s what it’s listed as. Thoughts?

After further investigation, it may be a Leghorn Pullet. We finally found the receipt and that’s what it’s listed as. Thoughts?
White Leghorn is a definite possibility, given the color of the down and the feathers. Leghorns do tend to have rather large combs compared to many other breeds, so that is something to consider when trying to decide if the chick is male or female.

Male vs. female, I'm not sure either way, based on the photos in the first post. Updated photos may help (since a week has passed and it may have become more obvious), or you might have to wait a bit longer to be sure.

White Leghorn is a definite possibility, given the color of the down and the feathers. Leghorns do tend to have rather large combs compared to many other breeds, so that is something to consider when trying to decide if the chick is male or female.

Male vs. female, I'm not sure either way, based on the photos in the first post. Updated photos may help (since a week has passed and it may have become more obvious), or you might have to wait a bit longer to be sure.
She looks about the same. If anything has become lighter in color. Comb is the same size and color.

She looks about the same. If anything has become lighter in color. Comb is the same size and color.
If the comb hasn't changed, that is promising.

A cockerel's comb might be getting more big and red by now (although some cockerels are slower than others, so no certainty yet about whether yours is a pullet. But no change in the comb is a hopeful sign.)

Back
Top Bottom