Dominique, Barred Rock or what?

Capt38

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Hello all,
So we just bought 5 hens, a rooster 3 mallards and 3 swiss blues. The guy we bought the birds from told me that the checkens were Dominique. Then my neighbor came over and said that they were CooCoo Marans. Can anyone definitively tell us what we have ?
Thanks!

They're definitely not Dominiques with those single combs (Dominiques have rose combs). To me their barring looks looser than that of Barred Rocks--more like that of Cuckoo Marans, but the leg color will tell the story. It's difficult to tell exactly what color their legs are with the lighting in the pic, but if their legs are pink they are Cuckoo Marans and if their legs are yellow, they are Barred Rocks. Also, the large bird in the center of the top and bottom pics with the light barring is a cockerel.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Barred Rocks--yellow legs, straight comb
Dominique--yellow legs, rose comb
Cuckoo Marans--white legs (sometimes feathered legs) and straight comb.

Some old timey folks call any black and white bird a Dominique or "Dominekker".

I'm thinking Marans for these birds. it will be interesting to see what color eggs they lay. Dark brown always sets off an egg basket nicely
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Barred Rocks--yellow legs, straight comb
Dominique--yellow legs, rose comb
Cuckoo Marans--white legs (sometimes feathered legs) and straight comb.

Some old timey folks call any black and white bird a Dominique or "Dominekker".

I'm thinking Marans for these birds. it will be interesting to see what color eggs they lay. Dark brown always sets off an egg basket nicely
smile.png
x2

The rooster has yellow legs, so he's a Barred Rock. The hens look like Cuckoo Marans. The Cuckoo variety of Marans don't lay eggs as dark as other varieties.

I agree regarding the hens, but the lighting is odd enough in the top photos that I'm not sure that the rooster's legs are actually yellow. I would like to see another photo of them in better lighting as well as his barring looks to me like the looser barring of the Cuckoo Marans also.

Back
Top Bottom