Dont think my hen turkey will ever let my gobbler ya know........

Kandace Edgar

Chirping
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I've got a Hen little over a year old, and a gobbler who's almost 2 that I got from someone else about 6-8 months ago, she gets along with him fine but she shows no interest at all other than that. She would rather hangout with 1 of my Lil young roosters she grew up with....bless his heart this gobbler is shutting and drumming all day every and she just runs away or goes and sits under our patio table or in the carport.....will she ever let him do what gobblers do so we can get some turkey babies lol? She did get attacked by the dog last year and had to be kept in the house away from all my other chickens and dogs, etc.,for about a month until she was all the way healed and the risk of her getting any infection was ruled out and she also hasn't started laying any eggs this year either....maybe the traumatic experience was too much? Any help appreciated here...I do hope since she's still young maybe she'll actually want to hatch some babies at some point....and since I've got broody hens will it help once the baby chicks are hatched?
20220325_171258.jpg

So I've got a Hen little over a year old, and a gobbler who's almost 2 that I got from someone else about 6-8 months ago, she gets along with him fine but she shows no interest at all other than that. She would rather hangout with 1 of my Lil young roosters she grew up with....bless his heart this gobbler is shutting and drumming all day every and she just runs away or goes and sits under our patio table or in the carport.....will she ever let him do what gobblers do so we can get some turkey babies lol? She did get attacked by the dog last year and had to be kept in the house away from all my other chickens and dogs, etc.,for about a month until she was all the way healed and the risk of her getting any infection was ruled out and she also hasn't started laying any eggs this year either....maybe the traumatic experience was too much? Any help appreciated here...I do hope since she's still young maybe she'll actually want to hatch some babies at some point....and since I've got broody hens will it help once the baby chicks are hatched?
20220325_171258-jpg.3037618
Is that a Broad Breasted Bronze hen? Her feet and lower legs look really heavy for a heritage turkey.

Pen the two of them together and they will eventually work it out. Turkeys get imprinted very easily and it can really mess them up as far as understanding that they are turkeys.

It is normal for hens to start laying a little later each year as they grow older.

Nice looking Lavender tom.

Is that a Broad Breasted Bronze hen? Her feet and lower legs look really heavy for a heritage turkey.

Pen the two of them together and they will eventually work it out. Turkeys get imprinted very easily and it can really mess them up as far as understanding that they are turkeys.

It is normal for hens to start laying a little later each year as they grow older.

Nice looking Lavender tom.
And Yes she is a Broad Breasted Bronze!! a very spoiled one at that lol, she stays attached at my hip all day since I usually spend my days out in the yard at my Lil funny farm! these turkeys and chickens keep me laughing all day! But it does make me worry since she's obviously imprinted on me....and Thanks I love my Sweet T! (Thats my tom) and I drove 5 hours to get him I saw him and had to have him!!! And he's actually a very sweet turkey even tho we haven't had him very long and the guy I got him from said he had never been able to touch him, but he eats out of my hand lol!!

And Yes she is a Broad Breasted Bronze!! a very spoiled one at that lol, she stays attached at my hip all day since I usually spend my days out in the yard at my Lil funny farm! these turkeys and chickens keep me laughing all day! But it does make me worry since she's obviously imprinted on me....and Thanks I love my Sweet T! (Thats my tom) and I drove 5 hours to get him I saw him and had to have him!!! And he's actually a very sweet turkey even tho we haven't had him very long and the guy I got him from said he had never been able to touch him, but he eats out of my hand lol!!
If you spend enough quality with them, you can tame most adult turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom