Don't think this is an emergency situation, if it is, please let me know

Johnyfive

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Hello, BYC. I would appreciate some help.

I have 3 chickens and 1 of them is hurt.

Background:
* Leghorn-Cross from reputable hatchery (meant to be smaller with less genetic dispositions).
*13 weeks old, mailed in healthy, brooded indoors and went outdoors at 8 weeks.
*healthy up until now
*started with medicated chick feed (will switch to layer feed at 18 weeks).
*still eats their chick feed + garden snacks + fresh fruit snacks + meal worms
*Fresh water changed daily
*big enough coop (great airflow), and nothing in the coop that can scratch/harm the chickens.
*using deep-litter method for the coop, which gets fresh pine shavings ever 2 days and a complete clean out twice a month. (I know the coop is clean because there is no smell and when the litter has the slightest moister, sunflower seeds start to sprout).
*they come out of their coop multiple times a day (roughly 5 hours of free-range time in a very large garden).
*Nothing has attacked my chickens, they are supervised when free-ranging and their coop is predator proofed with construction mesh and metal latches/hinges on the doors that animals can't get to. I also don't have a huge predator problem (only stray cats and hawks, which I have a dog/cat combo team to keep those predators out of the yard).

What happened last week:
I made the mistake in putting only 1 recently killed Japanese Beatle in the coop and the girls went nuts. They normally tear everything apart and the other chickens can pick up the left overs, this time they were squawking and fighting like I never seen before. Because of this, I first thought the little scab on my chicks nostril was from the fight.

This week:
I have noticed my little chicks scab getting bigger and now I am starting to get worried. Her comb is not as bright as my other two chickens and she is developing a little slower than the other two. There is a possibility the other chickens are pecking at her, but I highly doubt it because they are normally really calm in nature (their pecking order has already been established and they have enough room in their coop to run away if need be).

*Chick still eats and drinks and has no sign of raspatory or fecal/bowel issues, and is otherwise acting the same.
*Is this something I need to treat, is it fowl pox, any ideas? What can I do to help my chicken.

+++ I hope the pics are good enough, it's hard to get a good pic of a moving chicken.

Attachments

• Hurtchick 3.jpg
    Hurtchick 3.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Hurtchick4.jpg
    Hurtchick4.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 15
  • hurtcick5.jpg
    hurtcick5.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 17
  • hurtchick6.jpg
    hurtchick6.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 16
That looks like a common injury, possibly from getting cut on chicken wire or metal fencing, a feeder, or possibly from a pecking injury. Sometimes they will be chased into fencing when bullied. You might want to put a little Betadine on it.

Betadine is all that is necessary for now.
Get close up to her beak and smell the scab area for a foul odor. Then open her mouth and look for any type of lesions and smell the inside of her mouth as well. Let us know what you smell and/or have seen inside her mouth.

Betadine is all that is necessary for now.
Get close up to her beak and smell the scab area for a foul odor. Then open her mouth and look for any type of lesions and smell the inside of her mouth as well. Let us know what you smell and/or have seen inside her mouth.
I'll do this later today when I can get help with all this. I'll update when I get the information. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom