Don't want to Jinx it, but I think my hen is broody

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
I went out to feed yesterday and she was on the nest. I figure she is just laying. Well, a
little later, I check and no extra egg. I have been keeping track and writing dates on the eggs so I can tell. Anyway, today, I go out to feed and she is in the coop and not on the nest. So I figure, no, she is not broody. I check and there is a still warm egg. The end of the egg looks sort of different, like it was squeezed before it hardened, but just a little funny. Don't think it will affect anything. And, beside the nest, is some poo that looks strange, like a dog or cat poo. Not a chicken poo? Not sure about that one yet. But anyway, after I got the water container and went to fill it up, I came back and she is on the nest. I go get the feed to put in the feeder, and come back, still on the nest. I fill the feeder and she never moved. That has never happened. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but she has 7 eggs under her. She is a BB Red banty hen and I am betting covering that 7 will be tough for her. She is tiny. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed, besides the ones in the bator that are on day 18, I may have some other babies coming too. What do you think?

Marie

Hi Marie,
Sounds like she is broody to me. Don't know anything about the strange egg. My banty went broody about a week ago. I thought she was sick or hurt. Dumb me finally figured it out. She only had 1 egg[not fertile, no roo.] My book says they will hold the poo till they get out of the nest and them will have a giant one. She will not lay anymore eggs either if she thinks that is enough. Also said to only feed her scratch makes solid poo? Good luck keep us informed. I put 8 fertile eggs under mine due to hatch on may 5th. I am crossing my fingers for you and me.
Cindy

I don't have any scratch yet. Guess I better go ahead and get some. She did not come down for dinner last night when I fed them. So I don't know. I think she is trying to sit on them, but we will see. I will get some scratch for her. Thanks for the info.

Marie

She is officially broody. Has not moved off of the nest since I got home at 5:30 and DH said she never moved when he was out there either. It is just her and the roo so I hope he does not get too lonely. I am sure she will come down and eat. I have her nest up high, my first time with chickens and all, so I have to move her down when she gets closer right? She is so tiny but she appears to be covering all seven eggs pretty well! Wish me luck. Maybe if the ones in the bator now don't hatch, I will have some hatch under my hen. Plus I have some more eggs coming soon too. So maybe I will get some chicks out of all of them. Watching that bator is killing me.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom