Door Gaps in Coop

SadieSue

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Tacoma, WA
DH and buddies have been working very hard on building our first coop. None of us are real builders, (obviously). I had printed out very detailed plans for The Garden Coop which my builders decided they didn't have time to look at and commenced to building. It is just a chicken coop but my one unwavering stipulation has been that it be safe for the girls and relatively predator proof. But as DH is hanging the clean out doors today, I see that there is at least an inch wide gap between the doors. Above the doors is significantly less, but still a gap. Does anyone have any ideas how to repair this in an effective way without having to purchase new materials and do the door all over again since there is no guarantee it would be any better the second time? It doesn't have to be beautiful, but anything could get through this gap! Is there a special kind of trim I can buy that might even make it look more finished? I just need to know what to look for when I head back to Lowe's for the umpteenth time.

Any ideas or help for me? In the photos below, the doors are fully closed. That is how big the gap actually is. At this point I am SO looking forward to the project being finished.

View from inside the coop -
54793_door_gap_1.jpg

Detail of top of clean out door -
54793_door_gap_2.jpg

Close up - (sorry it's sideways!)
54793_door_gap_3.jpg

54793_door_gap_4.jpg

Quote:
X2 First thing that came to my mind as well. Should be an easy ~ peazy fix!
smile.png

Trim it. I primed and painted 1x4 whiteboard overlapping the gaps. The hinge side is tough because of the angle of open.

DSCN3020.jpg

Last edited:
Take the hinges off, cut 1 1/2 inches off the horizontal borders on your door, screw another 1x4 up against the edges of the cut horizontal boards, put the door in the whole, then add another 1x4 screwed into the building the length of your door along side the new 1x4 on the door. Then just put the hinges flat on the outside. Thats how I did all my doors and windows. Works well, and stops drafts.
76406_new_vent_windows_001.jpg
76406_run_construction_004_jpeg.jpg
You can see the hinges on the outside. If you need better pics let me know. Good luck....
Quote:

Thank you all for your input. DH and I took a little trip this afternoon and following your suggestions think we found what we need to solve our door gap issues and in doing so, add a nice trim to the door to clean up the ragged edges too.

BYCer's are the best. All input was much appreciated!

Would adding trim piece to a door help straighten the door due to bowing? i have a small door that has a large gap at the bottom due to bowing of the wood. Thinking of adding some trim to help hold it straight

Back
Top Bottom