Double yolk

I think it has been a couple years for me too. I sometimes have as many as 50 hens. Right now I'm getting a couple dozen eggs a day. So it isn't that common.

If they were to hatch successfully, it would be more common since the genetics would be passed on.

It's fine. We're good :) you don't have to apologize. I understand. And that's interesting. I guess I didn't think about the whole getting the laying thing figured out. I guess I forgot about that. Makes more sense than my guess haha. I guess I just figured that since they were meant to lay eggs specifically, that they would have more mess-ups than hens not meant for eggs specifically(which bantams normally aren't). But I wonder why I haven't seen a bantam hen(or pullet most likely) lay an egg with more than one yolk? Interesting....Maybe I'm just lucky haha. I have a few cochin bantam(and a cochin banty x mix banty roo pullet) and silkie pullets that so far haven't laid any double yolk eggs. But, neither have my silver campine pullets... Come to think of it, I haven't had any hens lay double yolk eggs in like 2 years. That's weird haha. Once again, interesting....Very interesting.
None of my bantam's have EVER laid a double yolker, but my red sex links lay them on a regular basis. I had to check them carefully before putting a few in the incubator to make sure I didn't accidentally put a double yoker in there, mostly because I have a heart attack with a single hatchling waiting on them... let alone knowing i'd probably be dooming twins.

You're right. They can and do survive. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.
In humans, in spite of the health risks, having twins, triplets or more, multiple births are between 3 and 4% of all births.
In chickens (and likely all other egg layers), twins account for about 0.0000000000000001% of all hatches. What does that tell you?

I fell off my roof and survived. It wasn't a good idea.

Last edited:
I have never set a double yolk egg either but I have had several double yolkers from my bantams usually they are very long narrow shaped eggs not much room for one chick less for two

The suspense is killing me
he.gif
I know right?

Back
Top Bottom