Double Yolks as a genetic trait?

Rootball

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Western Colorado
I was speaking with a friend from Peru the other day and she was telling ame about a certain area where she lived where all of the chickens laid double yolked eggs. I was a little bot unsure as to believing the veracity of her claim, but she isnt one for tall tales and she said that it was a well known area in Peru.

Today I came across this picture

20090412-whoa.jpg

To get that many double yolks the layers would have to have a genetic trait, although It weems like it wold be tough to pass it along.

Anyone ever hear of this?

I don't know much about it being genetic, but I too bought a dozen eggs in the grocery store once, and every single one of them turned out to be a double yolker...

Kathy

Last edited:
Given the difficulty of hatching two chicks from the same egg, I would be very surprised if there was a region where virtually all eggs are double-yolkers.

Young birds who are new to laying tend to lay the double and triple yolkers. Since it is the equivalent of fraternal twins, I suspect there could be a genetic component, but it's not the kind of thing for which there is research funding.

I have heard some stories about hatching double yolkers, but most don't do well and all need assistance hatching.

With the carton of double yolkers from the grocery store, that's easily explained. All egg producers candle ALL eggs. Some grocery stores (i.e. Trader Joes) will allow double yolked eggs, so all that candle with a double yolk go there. All others go to Safeway.

I read recently about someone who hatched out a double yolker, and whilst one chick was pretty much fine (but I think it needed assistance hatching), the other was squished and deformed and didn't live long.

I don't think, for that reason, that hens which only lay double-yolked eggs can have much success raising chicks... hence, the genetic trait, if it exists, wouldn't get very widely passed on.

I was speaking with a friend from Peru the other day and she was telling ame about a certain area where she lived where all of the chickens laid double yolked eggs. I was a little bot unsure as to believing the veracity of her claim, but she isnt one for tall tales and she said that it was a well known area in Peru.

Today I came across this picture

20090412-whoa.jpg

To get that many double yolks the layers would have to have a genetic trait, although It weems like it wold be tough to pass it along.

Anyone ever hear of this?
A hen I purchased consistently (4-5 eggs a week) lays medium sized eggs but once every 3 weeks or once a month she lays a jumbo size double yolk egg. So far this hen has laid 5 double yolk eggs, the latest one was laid March 17, 2024 weighing 91.02 grams.
double yolk jumbo egg layer hulog ng langit 2024-01-11 9.19.37 PM.jpg

double yolk jumbo egg IMG20240112103358.jpg

Is it genetic? According to an article by the LOHMANN company:
"Results of a selection experiment with White Leghorns in California

Poultry researchers at the University of California started selection experiments with chickens about a century ago to demonstrate that Mendel’s laws of inheritance also applied to quantitative traits like egg production.
These experiments were a useful tool to teach students the principles of genetics. In 1964, a selection experiment was started to find out whether the incidence of DY eggs in White Leghorns would also respond to selection. Abplanalp et al. (1977) reviewed the literature on DY egg production and documented the progress in 10 generations, from about 2% to 30% in two closed lines, while a control line remained essentially unchanged (Fig. 3)." https://lohmann-breeders.com/lohman...-in-commercial-laying-hens-and-parent-flocks/

Back
Top Bottom