Gallina Figatell: the new survival breed that does not exist yet

Pendesencas seem like a nice choice because they have the dark eggs like Marans but the adaption to your environment.
While Denia is considered to have a moderate climate in Spanish terms I think they might struggle with the heat and general environment. Denia where the OP comes from is in the South of Spain. Pendesencas come from Catalonia which is far North of Spain and seem to thrive in more mountainous conditions close to the East coast.

Last edited:
As much as I adore my silkies, I have to agree that they aren't the best choice for your set up. Mine have to be contained and not around other breeds for their own safety.

I do not have the slightest idea of what is avaliable in your radius, so forgive me if my suggestion just isn't possible, but perhaps look into some pheonixes? Mine are almost entirely free-range and they reproduce like rats when the weather and food is optimal. Even my hatchery ones, which usually are not broody genetics, are great mama's

As much as I adore my silkies, I have to agree that they aren't the best choice for your set up. Mine have to be contained and not around other breeds for their own safety.

I do not have the slightest idea of what is avaliable in your radius, so forgive me if my suggestion just isn't possible, but perhaps look into some pheonixes? Mine are almost entirely free-range and they reproduce like rats when the weather and food is optimal. Even my hatchery ones, which usually are not broody genetics, are great mama's
I think I never saw Phoenix here, but maybe I have to look more or get in touch with someone who has them

New chickens arrived on Tuesday

- The "new base": 4 Blue Andalusians (16 weeks), 2 Brown Andalusians (6 weeks), 8 Americanas - unsexed - (6w)
- The "ambassadors of the fox killed races": 6 Ameraucanas (6 weeks--- I only wanted 3, but it looks like I clicked twice by mistake) 2 Leghorn (6w) 2 Sussex (16w)
- The "just because": 2 Araucanas

And we have yet the 5 Bankivas to arrive.

And this morning, one brown andalusian was pecked to death, and this evening the other one. I know from the past that when you start with youngers, the first days are problematic (at least in my experience). I separated the 16w from the 6w, but they jumped to the other side in the "viejo gallinero" (the old coop that my grandpa made) and it was a mess.

Tomorrow I will be receiving - hopefully - the new coop with the run, so I will take the 16weeks to other spot (the old "free area"), and I had in mind during the weekend to make some mini home made coops for this transition and trying to avoid this initial pecking. But I've been late for the brown andalusians (or were they weaker for any reason and the others decided to get rid of them?)

I've got clear the base of the project: old mediterranean "farm rangers" and genetics from Bankivas, Malay, Aseel... also I will look for Combatiente Español, Liege. I feel that the mix of mediterranean and gamefowl might be the best way here. And every year add to the mix 2-3 races just for biodiversity.

What I am asking myself more is about all the logistics and how many coops and mini coops might I need to have everything separated. Today the chickens jumped from one side to the other and we had two casualties just in the firs 48h, so I need to insist in getting every chicken on it's own place before mixing them

You could add some Euskal Oiloa ( Basque hens ) which are a landrace from the Basque region of Spain and FRance, they could adapt to your environment and add some genetic diversity. You could also add some Pita Pinta Asturianas which are from the Asturias region of Spain. They are related to the Basque hen, and are also very adaptable. At least from what I have heard.

My gut tells me that mediterranean rangers and fowls might be the way to go. But I might be wrong!
You might try Sicilian Buttercups if you can find them. I find them to be quite hardy and good free rangers and foragers.
Pendesencas seem like a nice choice because they have the dark eggs like Marans but the adaption to your environment.
That was a thought too.

You could add some Euskal Oiloa ( Basque hens ) which are a landrace from the Basque region of Spain and FRance, they could adapt to your environment and add some genetic diversity. You could also add some Pita Pinta Asturianas which are from the Asturias region of Spain. They are related to the Basque hen, and are also very adaptable. At least from what I have heard.
Hola! Those breeds are very good free rangers, but are from northern Spain and I am afraid they might suffer in the mediterranean. Anyway, I'd love to try!

Back
Top Bottom