Dove Failing to Lay Eggs

N1ghtingale

Hatching
Jun 26, 2018
I have a pair of ringneck doves (the male I got first and then about 2 years later I got a female). They're both adult, they have mated, and they've been together for about a year now. My female has been nesting in the food bowl (I have a nesting area for them but for some reason she likes to nest there) for quite some time now, but she has failed to lay eggs. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Maybe put some hay or small sticks in the bottom of the cage, the male will bring them to the female and maybe it'll trigger something. When I got my first pair they "nested" for a while and I thought I had two males, but after a few weeks one finally laid two eggs. And they "nested" in the food bowl too, like yours, so I got a smaller food bowl with a cover and that was the end of that.

Count you blessings. I used to pair up my doves in same sex pairs in the end... because I got OVERRUN with babies!!!!

If you are going to breed them, what are you planning of doing with the offspring, because they will all need their own cage per pair. Also you have to think how to stop the adult pair breeding, otherwise you get swamped with doves!!!

If you want more doves, just buy some from the pet shop.... then you can choose the look and colours you want too.

Back
Top Bottom