Doves outdoors?

LyonFuzz

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2008
South Lyon, Michigan
hello
My friend found a white dove in her garage and has it caged indoors attempting to find its owner. So far, no luck. Can these birds live outdoors in MI winters year round? I’ve considered adopting it, but it would be in my outdoor flight pen with my pigeons. Any info is appreciated.

hello
My friend found a white dove in her garage and has it caged indoors attempting to find its owner. So far, no luck. Can these birds live outdoors in MI winters year round? I’ve considered adopting it, but it would be in my outdoor flight pen with my pigeons. Any info is appreciated.
Uhh I’m like 90% sure white doves are protected under the migratory bird act, so it’s illegal. But if your pigeons can survive it, then a dove will. I’d either release it or take it to a wildlife rehabber.

hello
You are attempting to find the owner ... is the bird wearing a band on it's leg? If it has one then its a pigeon.

eta It might be from a flock used for ceremonial releases. We found a white homer like this awhile back.

No, youre wrong, they are pretty much fair game animals like when hunting boars/hogs. Pigeons or doves are not protected because they are white, it isnt illegal. Like grackles too, they are an inavasive species, they arnt protected. So they can keep the bird or do what ever they can or want to do with it, ofcourse unless it has a band on it, the correct thing would be to return it, but if it doesnt have a band, they can rightfully keep it.

Uhh I’m like 90% sure white doves are protected under the migratory bird act, so it’s illegal. But if your pigeons can survive it, then a dove will. I’d either release it or take it to a wildlife rehabber.
It's like one you'd buy in a pet shop
You are attempting to find the owner ... is the bird wearing a band on it's leg? If it has one then its a pigeon.

eta It might be from a flock used for ceremonial releases. We found a white homer like this awhile back.
Yes....but the band looks like a coated wire....like for a bread bag. It was literally twisted on there. No numbers or anything.

0CBC4840-BBB6-49A0-8F09-145D2126239A.jpeg
91B5DC38-6796-47F9-B415-EBDBDB890D4E.jpeg

I see a band on each leg. I will guess that the green one is a 2018 pigeon band with letters and numbers that can identify the owner. The other blue one is like you say just coated wire ... probably designates something about the bird to the owner. That looks like a nice one.:D

eta looking closer at the green band I can't see any numbers ...I still think you have a pigeon there. @Hokum Coco ???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom