Drake attacking 7 week old duckling

finlay225

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2016
Hi all. Just wondering what to do with my duckling who is almost 7 weeks old. He was the only one that hatched, we have now made him a temporary outdoor run at the side of my hens and my 3 other ducks. I have tried introducing him to the hens and they want to peck him :( My 2 females ducks are fine with him but my drake (the father!) just wants to attack him:( Although I am not sure whether my duckling is actually a male, but would my drake act like this if 'he' was a 'she'? Will this behaviour settle down? My duckling seems quite happy on his own and can see all the others through the fence:) Just want him to have some companions really. Any ideas welcome, thank you! :)

This is common.What your Drake is probably doing is "attempt" to mate,basically,he is raping your little duckling.Drakes are very hormonal,separating him till about 6 or months should help.It took my ducks nearly up to a year to actually get fully accepted into a flock.

Drakes will rape eachother,and both male and female ducklings.And if it does appear to be a Drake,that is note ven close to enough females to keep "BOTH" drakes occupied,and happy.4 hens- 1 drake.

Back
Top Bottom