Drake being mean to other ducks

ducky momo

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2015
I have a 5 month old pekin drake and he has started to be really mean to my other ducks. none of them can swim with him in the pool all but for my almost one year old pekin ducky momo. i don't know if he is just trying to say that he is the boss but i would like to know if i should move him out of the coop. i would like all the help i can get. i just dont know what to do with him.

Why don't you tell us more about your situation. How many ducks do you have? How many drakes do you have? Do they free range during the day?

i have 5 ducks 2 drakes. they have a area that they play in then they have a coop we let them do there thing in the day then they go to bed at 8. the area that they have to play around in is not small but not very big.. i was thinking maybe we should make the play area bigger.. he was doing fine then he hit 5 months and he got really mean... he is super mean to everyone in my family but me... i got hurt and have not been out there to play with him.. could that be it maybe???? He gets very mad if i give attention to the other ducks but he has never really been mean all but for a couple weeks ago

i have 5 ducks 2 drakes. they have a area that they play in then they have a coop we let them do there thing in the day then they go to bed at 8. the area that they have to play around in is not small but not very big.. i was thinking maybe we should make the play area bigger.. he was doing fine then he hit 5 months and he got really mean... he is super mean to everyone in my family but me... i got hurt and have not been out there to play with him.. could that be it maybe???? He gets very mad if i give attention to the other ducks but he has never really been mean all but for a couple weeks ago
@ducky momo If your drake is being mean to the point he is hurting the others then I'd say he needs to be removed. if he is just being a 5 month old hormonal drake and wanting to mate with anything that wears feathers and isn't hurting anyone then you just have to put up with him. Giving them more space is always a good idea. Having 2 drakes with 5 ducks isn't too out of balance but I'd say adding another female would still be a good idea. actually drakes need at least 3-4 females each. If the drake is just too out of control then have you thought of re homing him? My drake has 5 females and is one happy boy.

He is not hurting the other ducks he is just being mean... He doesn't like my brother he can't even go in the yard with out him trying to attack him... He does not get better I will removed for them

He is not hurting the other ducks he is just being mean... He doesn't like my brother he can't even go in the yard with out him trying to attack him... He does not get better I will removed for them
If he isn't hurting the other ducks then what do you mean by being mean? chasing them around not letting them eat?

As for his behavior towards your brother sounds like typical hormonal drake behavior to me. What does your brother do when the drake tries to attack how old is your brother?

Back
Top Bottom