Drake is singling out and chasing one hen duck.

kej3511

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
The past couple days my drake has been chasing just one of my hens down. He has been pushing her away from the rest of the flock. He will mate with her in what seems like a much more aggressive matter then the rest. Why is he doing this to only one hen. There has never been an issue. they free range 4-6 hrs a day on tons of property with a pond. My drake is about a year old. Will they figure it out or should I be concerned. He doesn't really bother her when in the coop with their attached pen. But as soon as they are out he gets right after her within a few minutes or hanging out by the pond. Currently him and 4 hens are on one side and the one hen is by herlself on the opposing side. It's sad to see her be hassled and by herself :( any advice is much appreciated.

I would put a female buddy in with her. In fact, I might switch up the pairings (never her and him ) and see if that does something for the flock dynamic.

Drakes can decide to do these things - her life depends on you, so yes, intervene and protect her. Often these things change, but not very quickly sometimes. I have had this problem in my flock - separation eventually worked. I mean, after a year or two. Long story.

But each flock is unique and you may be able to get this resolved much sooner than we were able to. I just split the flock in two, and finally this winter was able to reintroduce everyone and they are fine now. Knock wood.

Back
Top Bottom