Drake keeps trying to mate me

Bumblebeeduck111

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2022
I have 2 drakes, Bumblebee and Honeybee. We hatched Bumblebee alone out of a egg, and then got Honeybee 6~ months later. Bumblebee keeps trying to mate with me and it’s frustrating. i heard its a lonely thing but for some reason Honeybee’s presence did not help.

Females are not an option, and Bumblebee is a pet of mine so I REALLY dont want to rehome him.

Realistically it's a hormonal thing and may become worse as day light period increases. Have a 'Plan B' in mind in case he starts trying to mate with the other drake.

Realistically it's a hormonal thing and may become worse as day light period increases. Have a 'Plan B' in mind in case he starts trying to mate with the other drake.
What do you recommend? right now hes in an area that gets light for longer than the natural daylight is, should i change that?

When my drake gets hormonal with me he gets a nice bath compliments of me. I just pick him up and toss him in the pool He'll have a bath then gets out and forgets for a while what he got tossed in the pool for. Another way I can stop him is turning the hose on him, I don't hit him in the face with it aim for his body. That too gets his attention and he leaves me alone for a while.

You dont need to rehome your favorite drake. As well as telling him that nice boys dont bhave lije that, the water treatment described by @MissLydia is the best approach.

My favorite muscovy drake that I rescued and raised from about 1-2 days old, has started following me around incessantly and biting my ankles to demand attention. It's painful and he has been warned and cursed at, but he is going to have water treatment if he does it again!

When my drake gets hormonal with me he gets a nice bath compliments of me. I just pick him up and toss him in the pool He'll have a bath then gets out and forgets for a while what he got tossed in the pool for. Another way I can stop him is turning the hose on him, I don't hit him in the face with it aim for his body. That too gets his attention and he leaves me alone for a while.
thank you so much!! i really hope i dont have to rehome my boy

You dont need to rehome your favorite drake. As well as telling him that nice boys dont bhave lije that, the water treatment described by @MissLydia is the best approach.

My favorite muscovy drake that I rescued and raised from about 1-2 days old, has started following me around incessantly and biting my ankles to demand attention. It's painful and he has been warned and cursed at, but he is going to have water treatment if he does it again!
thanks so much for your help!

I have 2 drakes, Bumblebee and Honeybee. We hatched Bumblebee alone out of a egg, and then got Honeybee 6~ months later. Bumblebee keeps trying to mate with me and it’s frustrating. i heard its a lonely thing but for some reason Honeybee’s presence did not help.

Females are not an option, and Bumblebee is a pet of mine so I REALLY dont want to rehome him.
If females aren't an option, it's something you're just going to have to deal with. Adding the second male is great for companionship but does nothing for all his mating urges.
Of course putting him in the pool, spraying with the hose, pushing him away with a broom... all those methods can be employed in the moment to stop the behavior but it's not something he's just going to stop doing. Hormones are a raging storm for a lot of drakes and he has no outlet.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It sounds really frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom