Drake mating with goose

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Hi, I got Ava the drake as a duckling 9 months ago and gave him to my broody duck to raise. I only have two girls - I know you are meant to have more. I was planning on purchasing more girls once he started mating. But that didn't happen. I spend a lot of time photographing the ducks in the pond, so I know he isn't mating with them. Also, I have kept ducks before and usually see them mate all the time. So I did some research and I initially thought he was a homosexual (as that is apparently common in mallard derived breeds). So no extra girls were bought. Fast forward to a month ago, I purchase my first pair of pilgrim geese. They are lovely. The gander is very protective of the goose - they love each other. No conflict between the ducks and geese. But this morning, a family member witnessed him trying to mate with the goose. She apparently became distraught and started honking. The gander pushed him off and then mated with her (she doesn't mind mating with the gander). The gander kicks Ava out of the pond. This afternoon I take the gander out of the pen for a cuddle (bad idea). When I come back, Ava is trying to mate with her. I was furious. I took him out and gave him a talking to. On further observation, the gander hisses at him whenever he comes close. Why is this happening? Why isn't he interested in the ducks? How can I stop this from happening? He is a big duck (campbell x runner) and she is on the smaller side but still larger than him. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom