Drake rejecting one hen

jlholm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
I have flock of one drake (Rouen) and 6 females ( Rouen, Pekin, Khaki mix). My hens hatched 2 ducklings a male and female over a year ago. We got rid of the 2nd drake when he started really attacking some of the females when the two drakes were establishing territory. Now the original drake is happy with all his girls back EXCEPT for the hen that hatched with the other drake. He constantly tries to chase her away from the rest of the flock and food and treats. He’s obsessed. I thought it would settle down after a few days but it doesn’t seem to be. Am I going to have to get rid of one of them to get peace back in the flock? Will the drake eventually acdept her?

He may still associate her with the other drake. Give them some time and make sure that she is getting enough to eat and drink.
That’s what I was thinking, but its been a week now. I have been making sure she gets food and water. They free range during the day on our pond, but I have to distract him in order to get her back in the pen in the evening so he doesn’t chase her back out before I can get it closed up.

I'd be careful about penning them together. If she can not get away from him, there is the potential for serious injury.
Thanks! I have been watching them and she seems pretty good at getting away, but he does bite at her when he chases her away. There’s plenty of room for her to get away, but so far she is still determined to join in with the rest of the girls. I don’t pen then up until right before it gets dark and let them out again in the morning, so the time is limited. I was hoping it would help them bond, but so far no luck. If I see any sign of injury I will quickly separate him. I was afraid separating then would make it worse. She seems to be much quicker than him so far.

When my old Muscovy drake passed away he had one female Muscovy left out of his harem. I had to keep them separated from the rest of the ducks because he couldn't walk very good and the other Muscovy drake would go after him so they had the front part of the yard the others had half acre. i was really worried about putting Ruth in with the other Muscovy So at night she slept in a small stall with a door so she would be protected but during the day she was with everyone. The drake would make her get away from him if she came around but the girls pretty much just accepted her. One even befriended her. Now since 2016 she has been part of their family. It took about 3 months for the drake to accept her. [Shes actually his mama] he doesn't know this. lol
Shes is now 14 and he is 10 and they all get along great except the broody Muscovy they can be a handful.
Maybe try keeping one of the other females in with her and rotating say once a week. As long as they can all see each other having them separated may help. You could even rotate all the girls with her then try the drake possibly he'll be more receptive if it's just him and her. Always be ready to rescue though if he attacks.

That’s what I was thinking, but its been a week now. I have been making sure she gets food and water. They free range during the day on our pond, but I have to distract him in order to get her back in the pen in the evening so he doesn’t chase her back out before I can get it closed up.
A week is usually never long enough as it can even take months for everyone to get along. If it were my flock I would add her in with the others girls and keep the drake separated for awhile.

I had this issue last year. Suddenly my drake didn't like 2 of my females. These were ducks the flock hatched and raised as ducklings. He kept chasing them away and wouldn't let them join the group. He would wail on them pretty good. I tried to separate the girls but they kept flying over tall fences to be with their group. One I eventually gave to my mom because she wanted ducks, but the other one, who was the most picked on stayed. Once breeding season passed, everyone was back to getting a long and this year, its not really been a problem. Moral of the story? Duck behavior is complicated, sometimes inexplicable, and very seasonal.

Back
Top Bottom