Drake trying to drown hen for first time.

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hi all. So, I have 4 ducks. Lilo (blue swede), Stitch (blue swede), Bubbles (pekin), and Winnie (runner). Stitch is the only drake of the flock. For a long time, he was the sweetest gentleman to all his ladies. Taking wonderful care of them, guiding Winnie when she first arrived and was scared, etc. He was such a wonderful little romeo! But today we had an incident in which he tried to push Bubbles' head underwater. I noticed she had bite marks a few days ago from him biting her neck but I knew it was normal. I also know it's (sadly) normal for drakes to push the duck hens underwater but this is the first time he's done it (that we have seen.)

We do not have any other drakes and we HAVE discussed adopting more Runner ducks like what Winnie is, but right now we wanna focus on these ones. What should we do about Stitch's behavior? Bubbles has arthritis and gets medicine every day, so she is a little vulnerable compared to the other ladies. She was my first baby when we adopted and raised them. She got all my attention every day and still does. I love her so much! She is my sweetheart and her wellbeing is so important to me, as well as my other birds. Is there anything I can do? He's mated with his ladies before but always did it on land. This is a first in water.

1697918843515.png
1697918862237.png

That's normal mating behavior. They prefer to mate in water. Drakes are the number one most sexually aggressive animal in the whole animal kingdom. The only way to avoid that behavior is separate them, or just don't have drakes. Most of the time the hens will be fine, but occasionally a drake will accidently injure or can possible even accidently kill a hen during mating.

First time I saw my huge Muscovy drake on top of one of his females and her head kept going under I freaked out and made him get out of the pool then I came to BYC and found out this is normal drake behavior. I doubt he'd drown her unless she is very feeble then he may, but he wouldn't do it intentionally. If you are worried about him hurting her just keep him separated from the girls even feathers missing from their necks is normal they have to hang on to something while mating, you just don't want it to get where her neck is red and open . I've had drakes and ducks since 2004 and have never had a drake drown one of his females. Now 2 drakes together could by trying to mate her at the same time.
My females love their drakes and they really do add a lot to a flock as far as watching over them.

your ducks are gorgeous by the way.

I don't have anything but my Ducks water bowls when it comes to water. They have 8 of them and they can jump in them to clean off but they mate on the ground whenever they do mate because of this. I only have 2 small Call Drakes and 1 young Mallard mixed Drake at this time so Spring will tell if I keep him or not. I have rehomed most of my Drakes because even though I have lots of hens they will single out one and make her head bleed. I do not like Drake jail as I only had one and he was so unhappy being alone even though he could see all of the girls. I refuse to let any of my Drakes hurt my Hens as I have my Hens for their eggs and the Drakes were more or less an accident to have.

Back
Top Bottom