Drake with Bumblefoot

I have ordered a playpen which should be delivered soon. When that gets here I am putting him in the garage and will bring one of his girlfriends home to stay with him. That should cheer him up. For now he is in a large wire dog crate in my family room so he gets lots of interaction with the family. I have let him wander in the kitchen, but he chases my dog. Big bad doberman being bossed around by a duck!

I have ordered a playpen which should be delivered soon. When that gets here I am putting him in the garage and will bring one of his girlfriends home to stay with him. That should cheer him up. For now he is in a large wire dog crate in my family room so he gets lots of interaction with the family. I have let him wander in the kitchen, but he chases my dog. Big bad doberman being bossed around by a duck!

He'll like having one of his girls home with him.
I have read of people using sand in their pens and houses but sand is abrasive and wondered how that would be on their feet over time. Any thought on what you'll use?

The sand has been great as far as cleanliness, but the vet said that because their wide flat feet compact it down it may be causing pressure points on their feet and it can cause bumbles. She compared it to large birds like parrots, who evidently have lots of feet problems, spend most of their time on hard perches. The chickens keep the sand on their side of the run soft because they're constantly scratching and digging. I have been considering taking the divider down and letting the ducks and chickens share one large run. I wonder if the chickens keeping the sand stirred up would help? But, I wonder if I would have any picking issues. Qwackers is dominate over the chickens when they free range, but would it be the same pecking order when they're confined? They're only allowed to free range 4-5 hours a day. I have lots of BIG hawks and feral cats around so they spend most of their time in the runs. I suppose I could dig all of the sand out and put in pine shavings. Boy, what a big job that would be! The run is almost 300 square feet, and the sand is about 4-6 inches deep.

Also, he hasn't had much of an appetite. This morning I made a batch of whole oatmeal with scrambled eggs to get him eating more. I made a few days worth and put it in the fridge so I can warm up a few tablespoons and mix with his food.

Also, he hasn't had much of an appetite. This morning I made a batch of whole oatmeal with scrambled eggs to get him eating more. I made a few days worth and put it in the fridge so I can warm up a few tablespoons and mix with his food.

Did he eat? Can you add some vitamins to his water just to help him through this? I've offered scrambled eggs to my flock but only the chickens have eaten it.

I would think having them all in a pen together may cause problems if Qwackers is dominant over the chickens when free ranging, they would be confined together even if a big pen, You'd have to put up roosts out side so the hens could get away from him, then some drakes try and mate with hens too. What about leaving the sand and adding shaving then letting the chickens into the run a couple times a week to scratch around and keep everything turned over. this way it wouldn't be just sand and may not get packed down. When everyone is free ranging do the hens ever go into the ducks side of the pen?

THat is a great idea Miss Lydia! Might just keep it soft enough
My ducks and chickens go out together and usually ignore each other...I have had problems with bumble in a few of my Scovies...I think if they are susceptible, either chickens or ducks, they will get it no matter what flooring they are on! Mine free range all year and are not penned but still get it!

THat is a great idea Miss Lydia! Might just keep it soft enough
My ducks and chickens go out together and usually ignore each other...I have had problems with bumble in a few of my Scovies...I think if they are susceptible, either chickens or ducks, they will get it no matter what flooring they are on! Mine free range all year and are not penned but still get it!

I am amazed mine have never had it, we live on very rocky ground in the mountains, I am constantly out picking up small rocks around places they walk alot, I think the ground gives birth to them then the chickens scratch them up, but no bumble in any of my water fowl yet, thank the Lord only about 3 of my hens have had it one really bad I had her in the house for a 3 weeks last winter. and now I still have to clean her feet weekly, she is a Brahma hen and old and her feet are not the best anyway. I also read diet can have something to do with it, but I for one feed a healthy diet as I'm sure you and others that have had bumble in their flocks so not sure about that one. just some more susceptible than others I reckon.

I agree...sometimes I think if you baby their feet too much when they step on something even a little hard they develop a bruise and then it goes to Bumble. I also think that if you have that infection (isnt it Staff?) in your soil you might be more suseptible if there is a cut or abrasion for it to get in.
Please chime in with your experiences all. Then maybe we can stop dealing with this!

The Runners and Buffs have pine shavings for bedding in the night pen, and run around during the day on shavings (some of it quite compressed), 2 inch smooth gravel paths, a little bare soil, and mulch. Oh, and some smooth pea gravel around the swim pans.

We have maybe one case of bumblefoot a year, average. The first year, we had three or four cases.

In the summer, we go for walks in the woods, so they walk on leaves and twigs and stones.

Every now and then we walk along the edge of a paved surface especially after a warm summer rain. Worms.

The Runners and Buffs have pine shavings for bedding in the night pen, and run around during the day on shavings (some of it quite compressed), 2 inch smooth gravel paths, a little bare soil, and mulch. Oh, and some smooth pea gravel around the swim pans.

We have maybe one case of bumblefoot a year, average. The first year, we had three or four cases.

In the summer, we go for walks in the woods, so they walk on leaves and twigs and stones.

Every now and then we walk along the edge of a paved surface especially after a warm summer rain. Worms.
I could just see this....you sound like the Pied Piper of Ducks! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom