Drake with gander?

Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hi everyone. I’m thinking of getting a Muscovy pair that would live with my other two female ducks, and my goose pair. My male goose is rather dominant and doesn’t like when any of the other waterfowl step out of line. Do you think he would have issues with a Muscovy drake? I’ve heard that they’re more aggressive than other breeds. I would have a total of three female ducks for him (one Cayuga, two Muscovy)? What are your thoughts?

@Miss Lydia Has a gander with a drake, although she mentions they don't get along. Muscovies do fine with each other but aren't a huge fan of other ducks since muscovies are their own breed, they hiss and don't have the communication with other ducks, though they can still be held together. Sometimes my drake (muscovy) likes to chase around my other female ducks around.

He'll love the females but I can only tell you how it's been here my gander and my Muscovy drake hate each other. Starting in January during goose breeding season my gander goes after my drake and my drake runs from him then in March hormones begin surging with my drake and him and the gander fight so I end up separating them the geese don't mind the Runners and Buffs but hate the scovy's so once breeding season is over in late May [for geese] My drake is still running my goose pair around no more fighting because by June the geese have molted and become their docile selves again but my drake wants them no where near him so my gander and goose spend a lot of time getting out of his way no fighting now because the goose pair are scared of him. It's actually still going on this year because we had summer so late and my scovy's are just going through molt, once molt is done they will settle down. Then we start again in January lol I get a few months off. This started with my drakes dad and was evidently passed on to Opie my drake all have hatched here and lived here all their lives. 12w yrs for gander 8 for drake.

Hi everyone. I’m thinking of getting a Muscovy pair that would live with my other two female ducks, and my goose pair. My male goose is rather dominant and doesn’t like when any of the other waterfowl step out of line. Do you think he would have issues with a Muscovy drake? I’ve heard that they’re more aggressive than other breeds. I would have a total of three female ducks for him (one Cayuga, two Muscovy)? What are your thoughts?
Don't let me scare you though Muscovy are awesome birds you just have to have space to separate if you need to.

Last edited:
He'll love the females but I can only tell you how it's been here my gander and my Muscovy drake hate each other. Starting in January during goose breeding season my gander goes after my drake and my drake runs from him then in March hormones begin surging with my drake and him and the gander fight so I end up separating them the geese don't mind the Runners and Buffs but hate the scovy's so once breeding season is over in late May [for geese] My drake is still running my goose pair around no more fighting because by June the geese have molted and become their docile selves again but my drake wants them no where near him so my gander and goose spend a lot of time getting out of his way no fighting now because the goose pair are scared of him. It's actually still going on this year because we had summer so late and my scovy's are just going through molt, once molt is done they will settle down. Then we start again in January lol I get a few months off. This started with my drakes dad and was evidently passed on to Opie my drake all have hatched here and lived here all their lives. 12w yrs for gander 8 for drake.
Thank you, that was really really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom