Drakes

Countryman101

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
I have more drakes then females that I'm trying to get rid of the drakes.. but my question is do Perkins drakes kill each other.. from the research that I have seen I haven't seen where it says they do.. but I have one that looks like it trys to mate with the one male then it looks like he trys to pushes the other males head under the water.. but when I watch them the one that you think is getting beat up would want to get out of the water just stays in and like nothing is happening.. any idea what is going on..

I have more drakes then females that I'm trying to get rid of the drakes.. but my question is do Perkins drakes kill each other.. from the research that I have seen I haven't seen where it says they do.. but I have one that looks like it trys to mate with the one male then it looks like he trys to pushes the other males head under the water.. but when I watch them the one that you think is getting beat up would want to get out of the water just stays in and like nothing is happening.. any idea what is going on..
This is high mate season and hormones cause ugly stuff
It’s dangerous for that drake ti get mated
@ruthhope has an all drake flock
She can give better advice on how to keep things more safe

Dominance,and yes drakes will mate with Drakes and it sounds like the one is being dominant. If the one drake is constantly being mated and harassed until it just gives up. Then it could die. They will also pull out most of the feathers too. Best to keep the dominant one away from the one it is going after.

Do any of them get along? I know @thumper650 had his fencing set up where he had 2 drakes together. But I think when they were younger and very hormonal he had them set up where they were near each other but fencing was put so they could not fight or try and mate each other. Dog pen fencing works well.

Male ducks might try and mate another duck. All male ducks might in theory drown a duck it is having sex with whether male or female. Pekins aren't particularly aggressive maters but there is always an exception.

I have an all drake flock -- rescues and rehabs that could not be rehomed and stayed with me. I haven't had any experience of the drakes mounting eachother. But they haven't been with female ducks since they were little fluffies. Actually my most recent rehome, and my youngest drake, he's approaching a year old now, was with females until December [when he was 5 months old]. But I don't have experience of drakes mounting drakes to tell you how I managed it.

In theory, if I had a drake that started mounting other drakes, I would separate him from the other drakes. He would be in a fenced of area in a run, or in a temprary pen if the drakes free range, during the day. And he would be in a dog crate or partitioned area in the duck house at night. I would keep him separate during the day for 2 -3 weeks -- he should have opportunity to see the other drakes during the day but not touch them -- but keep him separate at night until the fall when hormone levels begin to fall and perhaps he will molt then too. I would give him supervised day time access to the other drakes after 2-3 weeks and only leave him unsupervised once it seems it is safe to do so.

I have had an aggressive drake that was bullying his clutch mate for whom 3 weeks separation did not work. I had to transfer him to my son's flock where he got on fine with the females, and bring my son's drake over to join my boys. For nearly 4 month last July through to October . Then my son wanted his drake back, and so bully drake cam back to and all was fine. His hormones were falling and the bullying habit broken.

I wish you luck, @Countryman101 separating your boy for a time

Last edited:
Do any of them get along? I know @thumper650 had his fencing set up where he had 2 drakes together. But I think when they were younger and very hormonal he had them set up where they were near each other but fencing was put so they could not fight or try and mate each other. Dog pen fencing works well.
Yes they all get along just fine.. I just thought it was odd with just that one

Back
Top Bottom