Drama of adding new hens to flock! Help!

They make alot of screaming noises and Run away to show submission
My rule of integrating and squabbles is this" if they don't hop on each other holding each other down with there feet or any use of feet than it's not a fight "
It takes a week or so of squabbles each day less and less
I'm integrating two of my flocks each have roosters, by feeding them dinner in a nuetral rec area.
Then putting back in separate coops. I will do this for a few weeks and then try housing and free ranging together permanently.

Last edited:
Wondering what people use for "temporary" coop when introducing the new birds. I have 3 hens and would like to add 2 started pullets in about a month. I don't want to have to buy or make another coop for them though, just for a few weeks. What do folks use as temporary housing while the girls are getting to know each other?

Wondering what people use for "temporary" coop when introducing the new birds. I have 3 hens and would like to add 2 started pullets in about a month. I don't want to have to buy or make another coop for them though, just for a few weeks. What do folks use as temporary housing while the girls are getting to know each other?

Once my younger girls were old enough to go outside, I used my terrier's kennel. I locked the girls in at night, gave them the uncovered portion of the run, and kept the older girls locked in the covered part of the run where the coop is. They were like that from the time the smaller girls were 6 wks or so to when they were about 10 weeks, so they were bigger. Then I just opened the door, made sure they integrated that night. I kept two locations for feed and water for about a week, but by then they were pretty much integrated. Yes, there were still squabbles, but no deaths or dismemberments.

What do folks use as temporary housing while the girls are getting to know each other?
That would be an excellent new thread title!
Or slightly truncated:
"What to use as temporary integration housing?"
Then use your post above as the first post,
and adding info on your location and pics of your coop and run.
I bet you'd get lots of replies.
Many folks face this with small flocks and small coops/runs.

Keep in mind tho, it can take more than a 'few weeks' to complete an integration.

Once my younger girls were old enough to go outside, I used my terrier's kennel. I locked the girls in at night, gave them the uncovered portion of the run, and kept the older girls locked in the covered part of the run where the coop is. They were like that from the time the smaller girls were 6 wks or so to when they were about 10 weeks, so they were bigger. Then I just opened the door, made sure they integrated that night. I kept two locations for feed and water for about a week, but by then they were pretty much integrated. Yes, there were still squabbles, but no deaths or dismemberments.

Hmm... that's not a bad idea! I don't have a kennel but I wonder if i go to Goodwill or a habitat Restore if i can find one on the cheap. Thanks!

In my particular situation, I have a large 12 by 12 coop and run and I also have a smaller chicken tractor that is suitable for about 5 full grown birds. I put the newbies in the chicken tractor and the others free range. They visit regularly through the wire with no problems. After they've had time to acclimate, I let the newbies out to free range with the others. There is some scuffling, but nothing major. Usually, the newbies will go back to the tractor to roost, but within a week, they start roosting with the others in the larger coop, or in the rafters of the barn. I have a few birds that never roost in the coops at all - they like the rafters better.

Back
Top Bottom