Dreadlocks

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
This is going to sound pretty weird...but I kind of want dreadlocks. NOT like really harcore ones, like Bob Marley ones, just lighter, messy ones. I have a perm [my hair goes maybe half way down my back, and its a pretty large barrel perm, and it isn't very tight], and the hair styling ladies always tell me I have to wash my hair everyday, comb it out completely everyday, and always put lots of ''product'' [aka ''gunk''] in my hair everyday to keep it from frizzing. Well, I'm a rebel and I wash it maybe every 3-4 days [I have went over a week, would have went longer, but it got kinda dry], almost never comb it out, and avoid ''product'' like the plague, I never use any. It actually looks really good. But I REALLY want Grungeish [Layne Staleyish to be exact
wink.png
], carefree, dreadlocks. I definetely don't want to go anywhere to get them [my parents would NOT approve], but is there anyway I could like not comb it out, mess it up a lot, backbrush it, and twist it around to get something like dreadlocks? Oh, by the way...I'm a girl.
Ashlyn

I've seen yer hair... although you are making a statement with the dreds, you have absolutely gorgeous hair. Don't change it kiddo.

Of course the hair stylists will tell you to wash every day and use salon crap on it, they SELL the stuff
roll.png
Contrary to most beliefs it's not GOOD to wash your hair (or shower) everyday because it takes away the natural oils and such, I wash mine about every 5 days or so when I shower... I don't sweat hardly at all, even when working hard, so it's not a big issue. If I GET dirty, I shower more often. However, dredlocks to me are something that people want so they don't have to wash.... EVER and that's not right either.

It's a case of extreme on both sides... everyday or hardly ever. AND they'r f-ugly ESPECIALLY on girls.

Wow, I can't imagine not washing at least every 36 hours. My head would turn into an oil slick with the type of hair I have. I can use less than one bottle of hair dye on my waist length hair and it will be dripping off, vs my Caucasian friend who takes 2-3 bottles for mid back layered hair!

I think I could go without washing mine for an entire year, and it would still be dry. Mine is dry and frizzy. I use tons of product.

Silkiechicken, I just know you have that gorgeous long shiny hair
tongue.png
So............ not fair.

Quote:
Is it just your hair that is oily or is your skin oily too? When I was younger I had VERY oily hair and (you're gonna laugh) in between washings I would brush baby powder or corn starch into it. Not only dried it out some, but made it soft too...lol

The issue with dredlocks is the only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. They are fairly permanent. You could probably do it by twisting and teasing, but you still have to wash them, and your scalp can get very dry. Dredlocks are matted/felted hair, and it is a style that doesn't work very naturally with caucasian or asian hair. If your hair curls naturally you have a much better chance of managing dreds, a perm probably won't do it.

Got to admit I am a guy, now of a certain age, when I am ending up with allot more face to wash than hair to shampoo------

I can't even imagine going one day with out scrubbin my hairs, I work outside it's dusty, it's hot, it's down right nasty.

Dread locks when I think about them on me (hahahaha) make me want to lay on the ground and roll like a dog, cause they got to itch. Dread locks on some one else, I kinda want to get me a pair of scissors and a scrub brush fix that filthy looking mess.

My friend, who had dreds, said that it is easier to get the dreds to form if you wash your hair with bar soap, then twist them up. I guess you would have to do that for a week or so before you had some nice ones. I
have thought about dreds, but you must think about things like a job. If you have a job and they don't care then good, but if you ever need to look for a job you will be SOL. Especially the food industry, no one wants to hire a dreddy to make food. Obviously there are the few exceptions where dreds are not discriminated against, but not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom